Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where were the Pyro wars?

Re: Where were the Pyro wars?

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The Pyro Wars as I knew them actually began in 2004 between Steve Simmons of View Camera magazine and Jorge Gasteazoro, an alternative printer working in pt/pd living in Mexico. Jorge was at the time using a variant of Pyrocat-HD and Simmons proposed that he write an article for View Camera comparing PMK to Pyrocat. At the time PMK has been around since around 1990, Pyrocat-HD was introduced in 1998. Turns out that for one reason or another Jorge's original article was not published and instead Steve wrote his own comparison article on PMK versus Pyrocat-HD. Simmon's article came out in May or June of 2004, and the reaction to it started the Pyro Wars, which continued with a different cast of players until early 2007, with perhaps a few dying gasps since them. The major venues for the Pyro Wars were threads on APUG, on the AZO forum, and on the Large Format forum.

Sandy
    That's the way I remember it too. The stuff with Jay was more an aftershock of the earlier wars.

In retrospect I'm really not to sure what all the hullabaloo was really about as its quite clear that all these developers are quite good with different strengths and weaknesses. Though I started in the PMK camp I am now firmly in the Pyrocat HD camp......though in all honesty either one can do the job.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 2-Jan-2013 at 16:36.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

It's good to get a bird's eye view from you, Sandy and Kirk, since I apparently started using the stuff in the heat of the situation, about 2006.

For what it's worth I've always enjoyed pyro and I'm glad I use it.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I remember pyromania by def leppard, that was a cool song
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

StayAtHome Dad & Photog

So if the wars are all over, what's the best one for a beginner to use? I'm stepping up to 5x7 with the intent to contact print and have read as much as I can find but still really don't know which one to try.

Thanks!
    4x5 and a Tessar is heaven
    "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies..." Green Day

Quote Originally Posted by William Barnett-Lewis View Post
    So if the wars are all over, what's the best one for a beginner to use? I'm stepping up to 5x7 with the intent to contact print and have read as much as I can find but still really don't know which one to try.

Thanks!
    From my perspective, the best one for a beginner is Pyrocat-HD, simply because the Photographer's Formulary sells the stock solutions already mixed up in glycol, and you can buy it online easily.

Rick "also a beginner to staining and tanning developers" Denney

William,

It really depends on the beginner. If you want to buy something commercially packaged, your options will be limited, but still varied. If you're willing to mix up your own from a pre-measured kit, you can make any of the published formulas through Artcraft Chemicals. If you have a scale and are willing to use it, you can buy a few ingredients and make several different formulas.

As for which staining developer is easiest to use, it's hard to argue against 510-Pyro, as it's a single solution formula that is diluted with water to make a working solution, like Rodinal or HC110, with similar shelf life. Others will argue that using a two part developer is not difficult, and I don't disagree, but it's more difficult than using a one part developer, especially if one is not very familiar with making dilutions.

If 510-Pyro is easier to use than two solution formulas, you might ask yourself, what is the downside? The answer is, there is no downside. There is no staining developer better than 510-Pyro, and many that are nowhere near as good.

That being said, you don't need to use the best developer -- just about any developer is capable of excellent results. Since you asked for opinions, mine is that you use 510-Pyro, unless there's some reason that presents a problem to you. Good luck, and enjoy!

First pyro for a beginner?

Pyrocat HD, from Photographers Formulary. Premixed in glycol.

http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...col/Detail.bok

Then go from there.

I started with 510 Pyro. I order from Artcraft, however I multiply the formula by 4 and order that size kit. Saves on shipping for the long haul.

Mike

Just buy some Pyro and try it. By the time you search the internet and confuse yourself with a bunch of 'out of context' goggle hits on your key-words, you can be looking at your own negatives and decide for yourself if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Just buy some Pyro and try it. By the time you search the internet and confuse yourself with a bunch of 'out of context' goggle hits on your key-words, you can be looking at your own negatives and decide for yourself if you like it.
    I agree. I am not a connoisseur of developers, pyro or not. I find something that works well and I use it-concentrating my limited time and resources on gas and film.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"