Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

  1. #1
    C. D. Keth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,085

    Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

    I'm starting to experiment with pyrocat-HD for stand development and I was wondering what other people were coming up with. I have searched pretty thoroughly, I think, and there's a lot of questions but surprisingly few good answers.


    Here's what I'm doing so far and it seems to be working pretty well. I am doing this with fomapan 200. I start with a 5 minute water bath to saturate the emulsion and remove the green backing. The developer is mixed 1.5:1:100 per a recommendation I read from Sandy some time ago that the extra part A helps cut down on oxidation. I agitate for the first 30 seconds, and then develop for 54 minutes with 10 second agitations after 18 minutes and 36 minutes.

    I may go up to 60 minutes but I don't know if that would make much difference.

    Anybody have a time to start with to do this with delta 100? I wonder if it will be as forgiving as the foma has been.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    3,018

    Re: Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

    Christopher,

    Are you mixing your own Pyrocat HD, or buying it?

  3. #3
    C. D. Keth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,085

    Re: Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Christopher,

    Are you mixing your own Pyrocat HD, or buying it?
    Up to now I've been buying the dry packets from formulary. I'll probably mix it myself in the future, certainly if I move up to 8x10.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    3,018

    Re: Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

    If and when you decide to mix your own, you might consider mixing up some Obsidian Aqua, too, for comparison. OA is just catechol, metabisulfite, and carbonate -- very simple, and very economical. OA is formulated for intermittent agitation, and all the effects of low frequency agitation ( stand/ semi-stand/ minimal agitation, etc.) are produced with more agitation (for more even development) and shorter development times (less time for oxidation) than with superadditive developers like Pyrocat HD. Typical development times for enhanced edge and compensating effects are in the 9:00 to 12:00 range, with ten seconds agitation every three minutes, with a developer dilution of 1:500 @ 70F.

    Here's an example of Adox 25, EI 25, developed in OA 1:500, 10:00, 70F, ten seconds/3 minutes agitation:

    [IMG] Untitled by Jay DeFehr, on Flickr[/IMG]

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,465

    Re: Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    I'm starting to experiment with pyrocat-HD for stand development and I was wondering what other people were coming up with. I have searched pretty thoroughly, I think, and there's a lot of questions but surprisingly few good answers.


    Here's what I'm doing so far and it seems to be working pretty well. I am doing this with fomapan 200. I start with a 5 minute water bath to saturate the emulsion and remove the green backing. The developer is mixed 1.5:1:100 per a recommendation I read from Sandy some time ago that the extra part A helps cut down on oxidation. I agitate for the first 30 seconds, and then develop for 54 minutes with 10 second agitations after 18 minutes and 36 minutes.

    I may go up to 60 minutes but I don't know if that would make much difference.

    Anybody have a time to start with to do this with delta 100? I wonder if it will be as forgiving as the foma has been.
    Chris,

    Get in touch with Steve Sherman. Steve, who is a member of this forum, is widely considered the master of this type of development. He published an article or two in View Camera on the technique and has taught some workshops on stand/semi-stand type development.

    I use a variation of semi-stand development that I call minimal agitation. The working solution is 1.5 Parts A + 1 Part B + 150 parts water. I pre-soak for five minutes, then drain and pour in solution A. My initial agitation is vigorous for 60-90 seconds, then I agitate again for 15 seconds at the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 points of development.

    With this dilution and agitation routine the contrast will increase steadily for up to 1.5-2 hours. With Delta 100 a total development time of 45 minutes should be a good starting point.

    Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

  6. #6

    Re: Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

    There is considerable information available for Pyrocat HD stand and semi stand development than you may have not yet gained access to. Steve Sherman wrote a couple of articles in View Camera on his technique using this developer and he has participated in numbers of extensive discussions on this technique as had Sandy King and others. I have seen phenomenal results produced produced by Steve and Sandy and others and I am sure that they will assist to the degree you need. That is what this forum is all about.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Blue Ridge of Virginia
    Posts
    185

    Re: Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

    A side issue question, please: Pyrogallol cannot be used with a septic tank system. Is pyrocatechin acceptable?

    I'm not interested in speculation but in an informed answer.

    Thanks.

    Russ "who lives on a farm with a septic tank" Young (apologies to Rick...)

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,465

    Re: Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

    Quote Originally Posted by russyoung View Post
    A side issue question, please: Pyrogallol cannot be used with a septic tank system. Is pyrocatechin acceptable?

    I'm not interested in speculation but in an informed answer.

    Thanks.

    Russ "who lives on a farm with a septic tank" Young (apologies to Rick...)
    The toxic benzene in pyrocatechin is a constituent of human urine. My understanding from previous research on the subject is that pyrocatechin (and pyrogallol) break down fairly quickly in a septic tank.

    BTW, my house also has a septic tank. Why are we apologizing to Rick?

    Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

  9. #9
    stradibarrius stradibarrius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Monroe, GA
    Posts
    819

    Re: Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

    Is there a minimum amount of the A and B solution that must be used??? For example if I am processing 1 roll of 35mm in a hand tank and 500 ml of liquid completely covers my reel, would 5+5+500 be enough of the chemistry?
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

  10. #10
    C. D. Keth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,085

    Re: Pyrocat-HD for Stand and Semi-Stand Development

    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Is there a minimum amount of the A and B solution that must be used??? For example if I am processing 1 roll of 35mm in a hand tank and 500 ml of liquid completely covers my reel, would 5+5+500 be enough of the chemistry?
    That should be fine, it still fits the most common 1+1+100 dilution. If that's for stand development, Sandy's recommendation of 1.5:1:150 is working quite well for me. For 500mL that would be 5mL of part A, 3.3mL of part b, and 500mL of water.

Similar Threads

  1. Avoiding Streaking / Pyrocat - Semi-Stand
    By Flauvius in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5-Oct-2012, 13:09
  2. Semi-stand development over rotary?
    By Max Hao in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 14-Feb-2012, 19:10
  3. What is stand development, semi-stand development, Agfa development?
    By ericzhu in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-Dec-2008, 10:35
  4. Pyrocat-HD, Semi Stand Dev, JandC 100 Pro - need help please...
    By SAShruby in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2006, 19:16
  5. Semi Stand development with Pyrocat
    By Steve Sherman in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2003, 12:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •