Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best MF Film Camera for LF Landscape Photographer?

Best MF Film Camera for LF Landscape Photographer?

I've been shooting 4x5 for a couple of years now, and for the most part enjoy it. However, there are some shortcomings I'd like to solve if possible and am wondering if a 6x7 SLR is the answer.

I started shooting DSLRs 8 years ago. After being bummed out on the lack of resolution on larger prints and not being able to create the near/far tilt shots I'd seen over the years I switched to a Canon full frame body to use their tilt shift lenses. Shortly after that I tried 4x5 and have been with it since.

One major shortcoming I run into is the length of time it takes to setup a shot. There are times when I'll miss a shot because by the time I'm ready to expose the lighting has changed. I'm thinking it may be possible to speed up the process by going to a MF SLR style camera. While I mess around with B/W sometimes, I'm really a color photographer, so I can live with the loss of individual sheet development control. Also, I'd be fine with maxing out print sizes around 30x24", and thankfully my drum scanning bill would go down.

Specifically, I think that if I can find a camera with the following I'd like to try it:

- At least a couple of tilt shift options. I can make do with whatever they are. Really all I need is a WA tilt shift and a standard shift. I typically don't use movements with tele lenses.
    - Shutter controlled by body. I figure I can pick up a bunch of speed here. No need to swap shutter cables between lenses. No need to pull dark slides (or forget to). No need to shut and cock the shutter before shooting.

From what I can tell my only option is an RZ67 due to the tilt-shift requirement.

A coupe of questions:

- Are there other 6x7 cameras with tilt/shift options I'm not aware of?
    - Is my expectation of gaining some speed realistic?

Re: Best MF Film Camera for LF Landscape Photographer?

The only other I know is shift only - The Pentax 75mm Shift for the Pentax 67 system.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

The Fuji 680 comes to mind, but it's almost the size of a 4x5 field camera!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuji_GX680

Quote Originally Posted by brian mcweeney View Post
    The Fuji 680 comes to mind, but it's almost the size of a 4x5 field camera!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuji_GX680
    WOW!!! That may be just the ticket. Size isn't an issue, although the fact that it's offered with a neck strap is hilarious.

Miniature Speed or Crown Graphic!

Sometimes called a "Baby" or Century Graphic.
    The Century has more front movements then the Mini Speed Graphic.

I have one and I *LOVE* it! I use it with a 6x7 rollfilm adapter or with 6x9 sheet film.

Check out this blog for an idea of what I mean.
    http://aqua-city.blogspot.com/2010/11/speed-baby.html
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    WOW!!! That may be just the ticket. Size isn't an issue, although the fact that it's offered with a neck strap is hilarious.
    Yes it probably should have been called 680 Gunship or Gatling. That is a big dude!
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Hartblei modified an Arsenal (Kiev) Arsat/Mir 26 45mm f/3.5 lens with their "super rotator" tilt-shift barrel. It's limited by coverage, and the performance of that lens is not stellar. But 45mm is decently wide for 6x6 format. It can be used with adapters on Mamiya and Pentax 645 cameras, or in its native mount on Kiev 60, Pentacon Six, and Exakta 66 cameras. They also put the Mir-38 65mm lens into a super rotator mount, but that lens is also not that great.

Arsenal also made an Arsat 55mm PCS (shift only) f/4.5 lens, which is excellent indeed--at least as good and perhaps better than the Pentax 75mm shift lens.

If you adapt all those to a Pentax 645 (easy), then you could have 45mm tilt-shift (if you can find one), 55mm shift, 65mm tilt-shift (also scarce these days), and 75mm shift. Frankly, I think you'll get better results from the newer Canon TSE lenses on 24x36 format.

That's about it, unless you get a medium-format press camera with movements like a Linhof Super 23 Technika, Fuji 680, or Baby Graphic. That won't really be any easier to use than your 4x5 camera.

I have an article about the Hartblei 45mm lens (in shift only version) here: http://www.rickdenney.com/hartblei.htm

Rick "stick with 4x5" Denney

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

John, what kind of 4x5 camera do you have now? Is it a monorail or a field/press camera?

I used a Pentax 6x7 for years, and it wasn't much faster for me than using a Graflex 4x5. Big heavy camera goes on the tripod, and then try to figure out what's really happening the lens is stopped down. Sure, I can get tied up with all the movements sometimes on the 4x5, but never to the point of losing a shot. Of course, I've lost shots with the SLR, too.

The thing is, there isn't that much of a difference in using either a shift/tilt lens or a field camera. You stop with both to fiddle with the movements. Both weigh the same and rest on the same heavy tripod. The only time that the SLR is faster is doing IR brackets, because I don't have to mess with the film holder. But composition time really is nearly the same.

Try this: if you have a press camera, load it up with Tri-X or TMax 400 or Delta 400 or HP5, and then go and spend some time with it hand-held. See how it feels, and take a look at the results.

Added: I owned a Fuji GX680 for a little while, and then I donated the thing to Vaughn's school. It adds nothing to photographing in the field. I hope it's still running well for the students. Fabulous lens, but it weighs more than my Pentax brass 6x7, Super Graphic, or Toyo 45AX. I decided that I was not going to put up with that much bulk and weight.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Your modest print size requirement suggests that a 645 format camera might be more than adequate, The 35mm lens for my Pentax 645N is nothing short of astounding and doesn't require tilts for 3' - infinity depth. With 5000 dpi or greater scans from films like Ektar, printing to 30" is entirely satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    John, what kind of 4x5 camera do you have now? Is it a monorail or a field/press camera?

I used a Pentax 6x7 for years, and it wasn't much faster for me than using a Graflex 4x5. Big heavy camera goes on the tripod, and then try to figure out what's really happening the lens is stopped down. Sure, I can get tied up with all the movements sometimes on the 4x5, but never to the point of losing a shot. Of course, I've lost shots with the SLR, too.

The thing is, there isn't that much of a difference in using either a shift/tilt lens or a field camera. You stop with both to fiddle with the movements. Both weigh the same and rest on the same heavy tripod. The only time that the SLR is faster is doing IR brackets, because I don't have to mess with the film holder. But composition time really is nearly the same.

Try this: if you have a press camera, load it up with Tri-X or TMax 400 or Delta 400 or HP5, and then go and spend some time with it hand-held. See how it feels, and take a look at the results.
    Toyo 45A. Most shots I can get setup in time, but not always, especially when confronted with fast moving clouds. Seconds count.

Areas where I think I could save time -

- Mount on tripod, unfold, lock everything down, mount lens, hook up release cable, setup dark cloth, get out loupe - VS - Mount on tripod, mount lens
    - Get under hood, compose, focus, remove hood, close shutter, set exposure, load holder, pull slide, shoot - VS - Compose, focus, meter, set exposure, shoot