Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light meter for crown graphic

Overworked and Underpaid Guy

light meter for crown graphic

Hi, i am currently working on a crown graphic which i plan to bring out for purely handheld photography. I am using multi sheets holder with the graphic rangefinder and side release shutter button. The issue is that i am using a sekonic L778 spot meter for my lf photography which i find it petty big and bulky. So i am asking is there is any recommanded small light meter where i can attach to the camera with some strong double sided tape. Maybe a bit of spot metering with a small diy meter hood infront? No sunny 16 please...

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: light meter for crown graphic

The Gossen Digisix is small and might meet your needs. General coverage reflected and incident metering only, though.

Agreed on the DigiSix. The Cosina-Voigtlander meter is pretty nice too (I think a bit more expensive), but reflected only. I use it on several formats of non-metered cameras. cameraquest.com or I think B&H among other sources (no affiliation other than as a customer).

Thanks alot for the reply, i will head down to my local camera shop on the weekend and see if they have both meter and some hands on before deciding. Pardon me, but i remember the voigtlander meter only have those with a hot shoe screw? Not a big issue as i can glue a plate above the camera though.

The Sekonic Twin-Mate also is small and light. You get incident and averaging (but not spot). It comes with detachable shoe mount.

Will keep in mind, currently prefer the gosen and sekonic as i can view the range of f-stop to shutter speed easier as i am shooting from 1/15 - 1/500 while not trying to shoot too wide open if possible.

I think you can even get an adapter thingy to allow the digisix to attach to a common hot/cold/accessory shoe.

Here is the meter I use... Small compact and (here comes a word so rarely used today) streamlined!
    Great for quick metering of shots, not as many fan-dangled features as most meters, but considering that I use to have an ancient GE-58 meter, I find it intuitive.

I often shoot with my Speed Graphic handheld and this is my meter of choice.

http://www.sekonic.com/Products/L-308S/Overview.aspx
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Finally, some time to check the forum out.

@SpeedGraphicMan: The L308 is a decent nice lightmeter. But I am looking for even more compact choice where I can just bind the meter to my camera. Reason is that I am looking for an increase in speed for setup as well as being lighter and compact when traveling.

While I haven't decide between the sekonic twin-mate and digisix, I decide not to take the voigtlander VC. Reason being the display setup for the VC meter doesn't allows me to see a range of f-stop to shutter speed while the other 2 allows without doing too much of the brain work. I also don't really like the metering method by using arrows.

If only there is a spot meter that is small and compact and has functions like my L778 and within budget, I will be happy. (Am I a bit too greedy?)

I like the Sekonic 208 Twin Mate. It's very small and light. It has both Reflective and Incident mode, and fits in the palm of your hand with plenty of room to spare. It's analog, but takes a small battery. Its range is the same as all but the most expensive models.

Lately I have been using it mostly in Incident mode - in the BTZS manner recommended by Sandy King - because it's a very fast method which works remarkably well in 99% of cases.