Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incident Light Meter for 200.00 or Less

Incident Light Meter for 200.00 or Less

Suggestions for Incident Light Meter for 200.00 or Less? Small and no batteries a plus.

-David Kashuba.

The only two that I know of that don't use batteries are the Gossen Pilot and Scout. Both have a limited range.

Just go to one of the big photo websites and sort by price. Should find quite a few I think for $200. That's almost enough to get one of the flash meters. I think some of the basic models are less then $100. Assuming you mean US$.

I use and like a Weston V with invercone. I bought the meter for $20.00. I sent it to Quality Lite Metric in Hollywood, CA. They installed a new Selenuim Cell, calibrated it to Weston Specifications and sent it back in about 10 days. Cost me $64.00. I have used it to shoot chromes, and they were excellent. You can use it for a reflective meter or with the invercone as an excellent incident meter. You can carry it in a shirt pocket. I doubt now you can get one for $20.00 but one that is in good shape even if the cell is starting to go should not be more than $50.00 with case and invercone. If you can't get an invercone with the meter Quality Lite metric should have them.

Second the Weston V + Invercone and Quality Light Metric motion. But look QLM up in the phone book, on-line version, call them, and get their address from them. Many, many addresses for QLM have been posted on the 'net and all but one are wrong.

Cheers,

Dan

I had the Sekonic L 58 (I think this is the model, the one that is egg shaped) and it worked great for me.

I can second Jorge's recommendation. My version is the L-28 c2 from the '70s. Dead on and easy to use. Compact, no batteries, it could use a little more range on the low end, but other than that, a perfect companion.

And noone mentions the Sekonic L-398M Studio Deluxe? Incident, reflective, and with the slides you don't even have to move the dial. One of the best meters ever made and the one I use to double-check all my other meters...

I would recommend a used Quantum Calcu-Light XP. I think they're discontinued now, though. Granted, some people have noted battery drain problems, but I've had the same batteries in mine for about 4 years and it's still going strong. It's about the most accurate and sensitive meter I've ever used and it only cost me like $115 new or something crazy like that.

Old Minolta Flashmeters III and IV can be had for under $200.

The tiny Gossen Digisix is quite accurate and compact and in your price range, and they just came out with the Digiflash, just as small, but meters flash as well as ambient.

Used Gossen Luna Pro SBC's should also be under $200.