Thread: Colormunki Photo compared to i1Photo Pro 2 for print profiling?

Question Colormunki Photo compared to i1Photo Pro 2 for print profiling?

What are some of the differences between the Colormunki Photo and the i1Photo Pro 2 for print profiling? Is the UV cutoff feature of the i1Photo a noticeable feature? How about ergonomics?

It will be used in a commercial setting as we're adding 44" printing services to my wife's framing shop (bonus is I get to print my stuff for cheap). So far we suspect the majority of the customers will be printing on canvas with some paper printing as well. I'm leaning towards the i1Photo Pro 2 because it appears to have better ergonomics meaning less effort and time to create the profiles and if the reliability is better it means fewer wasted time, paper & ink on botched prints due to a faulty profile. But I've used neither so I thought I'd ask for some feedback.

Re: Colormunki Photo compared to i1Photo Pro 2 for print profiling?

read through this thread. It might be helpful,http://www.luminous-landscape.com/fo...?topic=73193.0
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

As with everything photographic it is not just the equipment but who is behind it using it. Breathing Color makes profiles for their media and they use a Colormunki.
    Their profiles for my Canon iPF8300 are spot on. If you can afford the i1 then by all means get it. Profiles made with the i1 are slightly better, however you may be surprised at just how good the Colormunki is.

Have you try the Coloris Software ?
    Coloris is a software to calibrate your print. Analyse light, ICC Profile and color. It will allow you to read, find, convert and compare spot color. You will find a bunch of functionalities that will make your life easier. On the top of that, you might be able to use your old spectro XRite DTP20 Pulse ! and ... it's free.
    You can download a Windows and an IOSX version on the following web site: http://www.coloris-app.fr

It' fully compatible with Colormunki Photo, I1 Pro 1&2 and the Pulse.

One of the claimed advantages of the i1 Pro is that a much larger (that is, many more color patches) target is printed and read. Theoretically, this produces a profile providing smoother tonal transitions, more accurate color, etc. Like Adamphotoman mentions a LOT has to do with the person using the tool, their understanding of color theory, and their proficiency with the software used to create the profile.

I have owned a Colormunki Photo for many years and have used it to profile quite a few papers on a few different printers. In the past as a test, I created a profile for one of my favorite papers and used it, along with the manufacturer's profile for the same paper and a custom profile for the same paper to print a test image which was specifically developed to push the limits of any paper profile. Maybe a don't have the most sophisticated eye, but I couldn't see any discernible difference between the prints. Therefore, I concluded that for my needs the Colormunki is/was plenty good 'nuff.