Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aerial Camera info

Aerial Camera info

hi there, ive just got a vinten type 95 aircraft camera and am going to endeavour to get this working, you were asking what type of shutter they would have, i would describe it as a curtain type , it has a slit in the curtain which is powered by roller drive so can move very quickly, apparently giving either 4-8 frames a second it also has a controller for single frame use, this one has its own fitted trunk with a 4" and 12" lens board and focussing viewfinder, hope this is of some help regards ian carruthers

Aerial Camera info

Ian, which 4" lens does your F95 have?

Cheers,

Dan

wfwhitaker

Aerial Camera info

Infinity focus is perfect. Infinity is about as close as I'll ever get to "knock 'em dead Avedon-esque glamor models."

Aerial Camera info

Wow! A blast from the past! I just won aerial camera #5 on eBay and have been futzing around with all sorts of bits and pieces, a sprained back and a hernia operation(Richard Boulware is right on about 'em being "heavy as hell") and this resurrected post got me thinking. You could possibly get a K-17 body (or any aerial camera designed for a seperate lens cone)and magazine without(or maybe with and just remove it)the lens cone. Then fabricate your own or modify the original for your own "infinity" say 15'---25' like they used to do with Speed Graphics, and use the optical window "finder" like a sportsfinder. It would still be heavy but it would be an interesting challenge to say the least!

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Aerial Camera info

Which did you get, John? A fairly nice and complete electric drive Williamson F-117 closed just the other day, haven't checked to see if it had made reserve.

And what are you going to do with the one you got, besides not drop it on your foot?

Cheers,

Dan

Aerial Camera info

Dan,

I won the Folmer Graflex K-10 that closed last week. It came with a stash of 7" film on spools:-) so I'm hoping it should compliment the Keystone F-8 nicely. The K-17 alas is murderous to manuever in a Cessna. The K-1 is mainly a source for parts. The Gowland is fine in helicopters but for fixed wing ops I get thin negatives---the f9 Nikkor is just to slow(but it is sharp as a tack!) My biggest issue is finding a pleasant way to slit 9-1/2" wide aerial film to 7" for the Keystone to digest. I've got some that Ed "Mr. Photo" had slit back when he knew of a lab that could do the work. I should probably see if he lined up another slitter. Wonderful (and inexpensive) film! Sure beats shelling out 80 grand to Kodak!

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Aerial Camera info

Well, now that you all have those wonderful aerial cameras, and wondering about developing the film, if you can find it, here is the perfect solution. Especially if you are into "period processing". I recently acquired a "Filmentwicklungsgerat B" setup, ca WW II. Info is all in German, but states it is for 8cm roll film. Additional info and pictures can be seen here. If anyone is interested, contact me in e-mail and wait. I am real slow about replies.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14247

Aerial Camera info

Thanks for the reply, John. Its good to know that people use 'em.

I'm interested in aerial cameras mainly because they're a source of relatively inexpensive good lenses. Not all of which, alas, are practical propositions for my cameras, but I can usually determine that without buying.