Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diafine: Help please for uneven development

Re: Diafine: Help please for uneven development

Ken,

Maybe I sound sarcastic -- more tongue in cheek, I hope. Is there no way to make a suny day exposure look like a sunny day, without including blown highlights and washed out mid tones? I've seen this same treatment in most of your images, which probably means it's a choice, but I often read you as claiming victory over high SBR scenes that you render as what I consider to be dull and lifeless ones, and I know some others have the same reaction to your images, which is not a value judgement, just a personal response.

I think Mr DeFehr is confusing a print or a web image with the negative. Shurely a detailed negative is a good thing to have because it allows you to print or scan or process the negative any way you like, but a negative with blown out highlights or blocked up shadows is severely limiting on a scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    I think Mr DeFehr is confusing a print or a web image with the negative. Shurely a detailed negative is a good thing to have because it allows you to print or scan or process the negative any way you like, but a negative with blown out highlights or blocked up shadows is severely limiting on a scanner.
    I'm not confusing anything. I assume Ken presents his images on the web as he would like them to appear on the web. I imagine he presents his prints as he would like them to appear as prints. To do otherwise is senseless.

I could say a lot of stuff, but I wont except that you are now on my ignore list and you always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    I could say a lot of stuff, but I wont except that you are now on my ignore list and you always will be.
    For that? Wow! Sensitive.

Gentlemen: Please be advised that our policy about discourteous behavior has changed: repeat offenders get banned permanently.

Ken,

Was I discourteous? Not that I care at all about being banned, permanently or otherwise -- I don't -- but I'm curious about these kinds of interpretations.

I think Mr DeFehr is confusing a successful test with an artists body of work. Ken, as I read the posts, was speaking of the successful test of his Diafine experiment and was happy with that success.

Ken, I really like the spectacles photo! As well as some of your other ones.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    John Belthoff
    Black & White Film Photographer
    http://www.customfilmworks.com/

John,

I'm not confusing that, either. It doesn't matter -- I meant no disrespect -- just discussing choices, but it seems some believe Ken's been insulted and needs defending. I hope Ken doesn't feel that way.

I don't make photographs like you Ken, but I sure do appreciate the way you make them.

I have tried various different two bath developers over the years and your results mirror my own. I still wet print so a bad negative is a bad negative. There is no way around it. Two bath developers seem to all do this from time to time with no rhyme or reason. I would still like to explore them further so maybe I will give surfactants a try. I was working on a Glycin/Metol two bath developer a couple of years ago that gave great tone but I gave up because of the occasional uneven development.