Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Symmar - S 150mm vs Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N 150mm

Schneider Symmar - S 150mm vs Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N 150mm

Hi ..

im going to get a new lens for my 4x5 but not sure which one to choose Schneider Symmar - S 150mm vs Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N 150mm

anybody experience the difference between them?

Thanks !

Re: Schneider Symmar - S 150mm vs Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N 150mm

Not worth worrying about differences. I also wouldn't buy a new lens in this market where this focal length can be had for around $200. I you want to spend some $$, get the apo sironar-S.

Vinny .

do u think the difference between apo sironar-S and the apo sironar-N it's huge ? .. in terms of sharpness and Quality

i want to blow my 4x5 as big as i can for an art show

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinojeda View Post
    Vinny .

do u think the difference between apo sironar-S and the apo sironar-N it's huge ? .. in terms of sharpness and Quality

thanks!
    How you use the lens will probably be more important. For example, selection or the focal point in the scene, the aperture you choose and your attention to detail with respect to tripod rigidity and minimizing environmental factors like wind, etc. will influence your ability to make a successful big enlargement.

What he said. Everyone wants to make HUGE prints now days but shooting lf is more than just using large film. There's a lot to it and an expensive kit doesn't replace experience. I shot a couple hundred sheets before I knew what I was doing. Then I shot a few hundred more and looked back at the work where I thought I knew what I was doing and said "I really didn't know what I was doing yet."
    That said, i can see the difference w/o a loupe but the sironar-s will cost you about 4x the price of the N, if you can find one used.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    That said, i can see the difference w/o a loupe but the sironar-s will cost you about 4x the price of the N, if you can find one used.
    Somebody must think it's 4x sharper because they sell sironar-s lenses but I don't think the difference is 4x.

David M Marinero

That's the law of diminishing returns. A marginal increase in something (in this case, sharpness) comes at a great increase in cost. Now the question each one has to answer is "Is it worth it for me?"

Kevin Kolosky

As I said on another thread, I'd get the Apo Symmar. You can find used ones for quite a bit cheaper than the Apo Sironar. that being said, there have been quite a few photographers in the past that have done pretty well without using apo lenses.

Huge prints are so yesterday. Go small. All lenses in 4x5 150mm from Nikon, Fuji, Schneider and Rodenstock will be basically the same. Sample differences will matter more.

Want to "blow" my 4x5 as big as I can...

Precisely how big.. 40" x 50", 400" x 500" maybe 4000" x 5000" ?
    There is a lot more to making a good image then to simply make it BIG. As for these three lenses mentioned, they are all pretty similar with some variations between individual lenses due to production variations.

Add Fujinon and Nikkor to this group of 150mm f5.6 plasmats.

There are many other factors that affect image quality and how much enlargement is possible. Film flatness, camera alignment, film type, aperture used (smaller is not always better), environmental conditions and many other factors all have an effect on what could be possible.

If you're after mural sized prints, 4x5 might be ideal film format size, but it also depends on specific kind of image, reproduction rations and view distance and viewer expectation. This was discussed at length previously.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tinojeda View Post
    Vinny .

thanks!