Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger

Re: Enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Robertson View Post
    Stanley, just been checking your other posts. Sounds like your just dipping your toes into Large format??
    Do you have a camera yet, and if so which format?
    Are you experienced in handling and processing film?
    What are you interested in shooting- mostly portraits?
    Last- ask your mother what kind of enlarger she's got stashed in the loft.
    Oh, Happy Christmas!!!
    Happy Christmas to you too. I am shooting mostly medium format 6x6 at the moment using a Yashica 124, after shooting 35mm on a Pentax K1000 for the past few years. I know how to develop black and white myself, and my college has enlargers that can process everything up to 5x4, so iv been able to get a feel of how they work. I would like to get my own equipment however, as I may transfer next year to a different college that does not have a darkroom. I mostly do portrait styled photography, or it is my favourite area at least, im not to keen on using 6x6 120 for landscape however, as the square frame can be a bit restricting, so that is why im looking at the larger formats, that as well as the image quality of the larger formats. Im not sure my mother knows what type of enlarger shes got, it was her fathers, and is boxed into a corner surrounded by obstacles at the moment, so will need to be extracted first.

There's no rule you must, have to, print 6x6 square.

You can print 120 6x6 with any aspect ratio you like. Seeing how you're already shooting square, you're actually less restricted than shooting rectangle format; in either landscape or portrait layout. Or at least, I am.

What's restricting to you?

If you're Keith Carter and absolutely must have your film edges in the print, as a matter of style, I can see what you're saying. That's a self imposed restraint or affectation, it's not actually required. You would have to file out your negative carriers anyway if you're going for his film edge framed look.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardSperry View Post
    There's no rule you must, have to, print 6x6 square.

You can print 120 6x6 with any aspect ratio you like. Seeing how you're already shooting square, you're actually less restricted than shooting rectangle format; in either landscape or portrait layout. Or at least, I am.

What's restricting to you?

If you're Keith Carter and absolutely must have your film edges in the print, as a matter of style, I can see what you're saying. That's a self imposed restraint or affectation, it's not actually required. You would have to file out your negative carriers anyway if you're going for his film edge framed look.
    Its more a matter of image quality, and to do with how I want to enlarge it, having a larger rectangular format just involves less enlarging than cropping a 6x6 frame

Omega E3..... goes 35mm to 5x7 and then contact print 8x10 and up..... There out there, for $350. and up depending on condition and completeness.

Stanley Kubrik?

Really?
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    putting a 50mm lens on an 8x10 machine isn't very practical or possible
    Examples? All the 8x10 enlargers I am familiar with will handle a 50mm lens and will do 35mm enlargements.
    These enlargers are designed to make big prints! Enlarging 8x10 film is a bonus
    Big enlarger = big prints
    Small enlarger = small prints.

I am 100% in agreement with you that the OP is likely not making 40" prints, so a table-top 35mm enlarger would be best for him.

Enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Examples? All the 8x10 enlargers I am familiar with will handle a 50mm lens and will do 35mm enlargements.
    These enlargers are designed to make big prints! Enlarging 8x10 film is a bonus
    Big enlarger = big prints
    Small enlarger = small prints.

I am 100% in agreement with you that the OP is likely not making 40" prints, so a table-top 35mm enlarger would be best for him.
    My fotar can't handle a 50mm lens because of bellows compression. 150mm is as short a lens as I can use. Perhaps my enlarger had a special purpose because the bellows extend to about 4 feet long?
    Regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    My fotar can't handle a 50mm lens because of bellows compression. 150mm is as short a lens as I can use. Perhaps my enlarger had a special purpose because the bellows extend to about 4 feet long?
    Regards
    Erik
    Erik,

While I cannot speak about your Fotar, for the Durst L184 10x10 enlarger there are listings of lensboards for use with 50mm lenses. I would however expect that are a deeply recessed to get the lens close enough to negative stage given the amount of bellows that needs to be compressed.

So yes it is doable, but is it the BEST solution for the OP? Certainly not for me...

My thoughts,

Len

The Devere 504 is able to use 35mm, albeit on a recessed lens board.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Regards
    Erik
    Ic-racer, My fotar can't either.