Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlarger

Re: Enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Kubrick View Post
    Hello,
    I need an enlarger that is capable of being used for 35mm, 6x6 medium format, and 5x4, 10x8 large format. s
    All 8x10 enlargers can do 35mm and everything in between. They are real 'work horses.'

As these other guys pointed out, 8x10 enlargers are big. Think of it this way, the 8x10 film has four-times the surface area of 4x5 and the 8x10 enlarger is 4 times as big. Four-times as tall and four-times as heavy...no kidding! You will need to build your home and family around an 8x10 enlarger. If you are single, it will keep you that way...

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    All 8x10 enlargers can do 35mm and everything in between. They are real 'work horses.'

As these other guys pointed out, 8x10 enlargers are big. Think of it this way, the 8x10 film has four-times the surface area of 4x5 and the 8x10 enlarger is 4 times as big. Four-times as tall and four-times as heavy...no kidding! You will need to build your home and family around an 8x10 enlarger. If you are single, it will keep you that way...
    I suppose I could enlarge 35mm negs on my Fotar but not with anything like a 50mm lens. The bellows don't compress nearly enough and using a much longer lens wouldn't yield very large prints at all.

To give you a idea of the costs associated with running a Durst 2000 cls. A bulb will cost ± 250 $. A reflector ± 850 $. Enlarging 35 mm with that kind of expenses does not seem smart.

If you want a 40" or bigger print from 35mm, an 8x10 enlarger is an easy way to go if you already have one (vs. column reversal or wall projection with a fixed head etc. using a smaller enlarger).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvnaPZWrt9E

Personally, I doubt that you can find an 8x10 in the price range you mentioned precise enough to do all the formats you want.

It could take a while to find the 8x10. Consider getting a 4x5 for that size and down. Beseler, Omega, Saunders; there're a number of possibilities. If the 8x10 you find will handle all sizes, then you can likely sell the 4x5 for about what you paid for it.

I echo the idea of one enlarger for 35mm-4x5. 8x10 enlargers will be hard to find at the price you want so if you haven't gotten into that format yet, maybe think hard about that vs 4x5.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I enlarge everything from 35mm (albeit rarely) to 5X7 with equal aplomb (abomb?) on my enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Robertson View Post
    Stanley!! Where have you been, and what does the Mask really symbolise in Eyes Wide Shut??
    I see you don't want to spend more than £800- so you're in the UK? I would think you need more than 1 enlarger. I print from 35mm to 5x4, and find it's just much easier to have one machine (Fujimoto) set up for small formats and another (LPL) set up for 5x4. Otherwise, you can be discouraged from shooting different formats by having to change the set up on the enlarger. Suspect a machine big enough for 10x8 would be a PITA to print 35mm.
    Ask around on www.fadu.co.uk - it's UK based. Second hand darkroom supplies (link from FADU) have 10x8 enlargers, but not at your price. E-bay in the UK sometimes has them, but the problem is nobody wants to ship them. Also, do you know about http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/ Another good place to enquire. Seems like there are often people off-loading gear.
    Thats great, il check the links out, thank you

Thats great, thanks for the advice everyone, thats given me a better understanding

Stanley, just been checking your other posts. Sounds like your just dipping your toes into Large format??
    Do you have a camera yet, and if so which format?
    Are you experienced in handling and processing film?
    What are you interested in shooting- mostly portraits?
    Last- ask your mother what kind of enlarger she's got stashed in the loft.
    Oh, Happy Christmas!!!