Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Question Scanjet G4050 vs Epson V700

Re: Yet another Question Scanjet G4050 vs Epson V700

V750...mmm lets see.....is it just faster?...It comes with; color management, Vuescan and Silverfast bundle, adjustable neg carriers, a wet carrier...oh and really good and fast scans.... did i mention firewire capable... And the Epson software is not that bad, especially when you need to scan 60 or 100 35mm negs.... Lots of computer memory would be a help along with a 64bit system MAC or PC....

Roger William Barr

Well my last question was directed to Light Guru .. And BTW who was it who said .. "I look it up.... hp4050 looks like a cool scanner"

The key question I guess is do we see an appreciable difference in the output of these two scanners for my purpose. ie short runs (6 to 12 at a time) of 4x5 BW neg scanning. What is the difference in quality of output not speed or do dads,, but baring in mind that both scanners have two lenses and can scan up to at least 4200 DPI, what the scans look like.

I've had a G4050 for a number of years, before that I had a Epson 4990. The G4050 does not come close to resolving to it's headline resolution but is fine at 1200 dpi which is enough for 4x5. One thing I have noticed is that the scanner is set up to focus on the glass of the scanner so if you lay negatives flat on the scanning bed you get slightly sharper scans but with the risk of newton rings. I got it on the basis that for really good scans I would get drum or imacon scans from a lab so the G4050 was a proofing scanner. It is absolutely fine for this purpose. If you want to see some sample scans I can send you some jpegs.

Roger William Barr

So are you saying that for 4x5 it will output a scan in the same realm of resolution as the v700 ??

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    So are we saying that there is nothing much to be gained from going with a v700 over the much less expensive HP G4050 for scanning 4x5 negatives. ??

Anyone else have thoughts..
    Don't forget to look in to what features of VueScan are available with the HP scanner. With the V700 in VueScan you can do a lot of advanced stuff for tricky negs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    So are you saying that for 4x5 it will output a scan in the same realm of resolution as the v700 ??
    Possible... the bigger it is, the easier it is to scan. When scanning 8x10s I can just throw the film on the glass and I get heaps of resolution. With smaller sizes, I have to use very precise holders to get good resolution, etc.

Roger William Barr

I have Vuescan.. are there different options available with each scanner.. hmm I had not thought about that.. I wonder how I can check

Bryan - Thanks!

Brooklyn, Just for grins, I'm wanted to show an example of a recent scan. This can be printed ~28" on the long side at 300dpi. I personally would have no problems printing at this size. Any bigger, or if you're really a stickler for detail, of course a drum scan. Now, before I go in to any details, I just want to be clear that I have no doubt: a higher priced and higher quality scanner will likely produce a better scan, more detail, better dynamic range. The HP supplied software has adequate controls, but other more expensive software may have more features. The HP G4050 is probably slower (preview scans are fast though.) Also, to be clear I have never scanned a neg, only color transparencies. The supplied holder is adequate and holds the film off the glass avoiding the newton rings. I can't confirm where the focus point is as it's not in any of the documentation, but Tobias could very well be correct, that the focus point is on the glass. Film, by it's nature is not exactly flat and so there is that to consider as well; only a drum scanner can fix that, or wet mounting between two pieces of glass to flatten out the film.

Anyway.... I'm only chiming in about the G4050 because it CAN and DOES produce excellent scans, for most situations. The OP mentioned he would mostly be printing full size, 4x5 prints. What the intended use and output is really a big part in considering the scanner. Heck, a 4x5" print, I think the limiting factor in that case is probably your printer anyway and the HP scanner will be more than adequate! I think the G4050 is a bit more capable than a "proofing scanner," but clearly, it's not going to beat or compare point by point with more expensive and dedicated flatbed scanners. Just want to be clear that the scanner is what it is; for non-museum quality, personal scans and prints as big as 28", quality transparencies and good scanning practices make a difference, and you can't do any better for a scanner that's less than $200! When I started scanning my own slides, if money was no object, I would have bought a better solution, no doubt. But guess what, I'm not made of money. I can't hardly afford film any more... (different story, different thread.) So in the end, I'm happy and able to use this scanner very effectively.

To this image. Scanned at 2400ppi, but only at 75% of full size. My PC just can't handle any bigger files when you start tacking on layers. This produced a 320MB, 16bit tif file, 8335x6689px. The attached image is the straight scan. The only thing I've done is resize and sharpen for the web, no processing. The inset is 1000px, not sharpened or anything, just saved for the web at quality 10 jpg. Oh, film is Velvia, Nikkor 300mm if that matters.

Forgetting all the numbers for a second, I think we would all agree that viewing this stuff on the web, resizing, jpg compression all that stuff, is no comparison to actually having a full size print in front of you. Also, anyone who works with scans figures out quickly that what you see on your screen when working these scan files, is actually rather disappointing relative to what that slide looks like on a lightbox, under a loupe. ;-)

Having said all that, here ya go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42124SH_1050.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	85854

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42124SH_cropnosharpen.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	85853

If anyone wants additional info, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Lon Overacker; 21-Dec-2012 at 12:59. Reason: typos

Roger William Barr

Very helpful.. Thanks for that.. I think the answer is to snap up one o these HP scanners and put the rest of the dough towards the Horseman FA I have been dreamiing about.. My sad ole Meridian has seen better days..

(Shrek)

I use the HP also. Software is absolute crap. Dust & scratch removal works well, but I can't scan 8x10s at 2400dpi using that because I'll run out of memory (32-bit program, I have lots of memory in my puter). Doesn't do all that well with very dense negs (forget Velvia 50, as someone said).

That being said, I've scanned several thousand transparencies with it, I've gotten excellent results when I take the time to do it right.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Brooklyn, do I understand you're talking about black and white only, and printing at the actual size of the negative?

You simply don't have to worry about resolution. Any scanner will go way beyone the resolution that will make a difference to human eyes. If you're doing color, especially transparencies, then dynamic range becomes an issue. It takes a very good scanner to handle the highest densities. But normal black and white negs are a piece of cake.

I have contact size prints made from desktop scans (epson 4870) that are visibly sharper and show every bit as much detail as darkroom contact prints from the same negatives. These were scanned at quite high resolutions on general principle, but could have been scanned lower. The v700 would be more than adequate to the task.

Because I was printing at larger sizes also, I scanned at the maximum sampling rate of the scanner (4800 lpi) and had my software (vuescan) automatically downsample to 2400, which is just a little bit past the scanner's optical resolution. This reduces noise and guarantees I'm getting everything that can be got. I wet-mounted to float glass and used shims to put the emulsion right at the focal plane. I seriously doubt these last steps would be important for contact-size prints.