Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Question Scanjet G4050 vs Epson V700

Roger William Barr

Yet another Question Scanjet G4050 vs Epson V700

Hello all.. New Boy here.. first post so no shouting at me and no de bagging.

Heres my Q.. I shoot 4x5 film.. only 4x5 nothing smaller ever..

How much resolution do i really need in a scanner. My work is usually printed actual size. ie I would in the past do 4x5 contact prints and display them in larger frames with a ton o white around them. Or put them in "artist" books.

OK so do I need a really fine scanner a la v700.. I can't find a discussion about the need for DPI..

If there is one please link me or give me a thread name..

Thank you all. BTW I love this forum.

Re: Yet another Question Scanjet G4050 vs Epson V700

We are a pretty friendly group here ... color or only BW?

people mostly like big... bigger the better on average...i use 16x20 mats for my 11x14s.... scan at the highest that is confortable for your computer. If your computer takes more than 5 seconds to load an image into Photoshop or Lightroom scan at a lower resolution. You might want to consider a Epson V750... it scans faster, includes color management, and wet mount for your 4x5 scans......

oh and welcome

Roger William Barr

The quetion is about how great a resolution one needs. I have read elswhere that people don't use the full res of the V700 on LF Negs. The Scanjet G4050 scans at 4200 by 4200.. is that high enough.. How much better results can be got from a scanner that is twice the price.. More is not always better. Anyone have comparison of both scanners at 4200 ??

"More is not always better" Yea it is.... when i scan a negative, i only want to scan it once... i then use the scan to make prints and JPGs ...different resolutions are needed. Screen dpi is between 72 to 96 ...then what ever your printer is.... no matter the dpi the printer software squishes it down to the size your printing at. Now the limits to the resolution are based on your computer speed, size limitations and there is a practical limit that that it is bigger than you would ever need. For a 4x5 neg BW its around 600 1200 dpi for color it would be on the lower end because you are scanning more color info. I hardly use the max resolution on my v750, and when i do its BW 35mm negs. Your scanner is 4200? thats is way more than you need for a 4x5 neg. You do not need really hi resolution to make really good scans from a 4x5 neg.

Roger William Barr

So are we saying that there is nothing much to be gained from going with a v700 over the much less expensive HP G4050 for scanning 4x5 negatives. ??

Anyone else have thoughts..

I look it up.... hp4050 looks like a cool scanner

I've had the G4050 since it came out and have scanned 100's of color transparencies (mostly in the Velvia family.) I scan normally at 1200, 2400 if I need anything bigger than a 20" print. I don't even know the max optical resolution (very likely NOT 4200 - btw, it can go up to 9600 via software extrapolation - not sure why anyone would do that, but anyway...) I also don't know the DR, which I'm pretty sure is NOT very good.

Having said that, I have very nice prints done for a gallery show printed to ~20x24 that I was very, very happy with. Only a couple people have seen these prints in person, and so like anything, it's all relative to what one deems as acceptable quality. There are also many other factors. V50 with blocked up shadows will scan like crap, no matter what flatbed we're talking about. So, starting with quality transparencies with reasonable contrast/DR to start with and you can get excellent results. The other factor is the processing after the fact. If you're pretty proficient in processing scans in PS, you can get excellent results. I know teenie web versions can't give anyone a very good idea about print quality, but every image on my website since about 2007 was scanned withthe G4050. Check the "new work" link if you want to see the latest scans and processing.

I personally don't have any experience with the Epsons or Microteks, but clearly you can get quality scans from those scanners as well as many folks here can attest. I just wanted to post to say that for $200 you can potentially get excellent results. YMMV.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have additional questions.

Lon

Lon, thanks so much. If this scanner makes my photos look as good as yours, I'm buying two of them!

I actually have been trying to decide on a decent scanner and had never even considered HP. They are actually selling for $165.00 with free shipping at: http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-of...3-2&aoid=41841

I checked the specs and it will even work with the older operating systems!

I may just have to buy myself one for Christmas!

Bryan

Yet another Question Scanjet G4050 vs Epson V700

I have a G4050 at home and use a V750 at work. The V750 scans a LOT faster and the Epsom scan software is also much better then the HP scan software. I ended up purchasing viewscan because the HP scan software is was lacking.

If you can afford the V750 I would definitely go with that.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Roger William Barr

Thanks for all the replies folks..

Here is a question for Light Guru.. I have ViewScan.. I think it is sort of a basic requirement these days .. so the proprietary Epson or HP software is not even an issue when choosing a scanner. The only difference you have stated is that the V700 is faster.. I expose a maximum of 12 sheets of film when I am out shooting, so scanner speed is another non issue. So why are you saying definitely go with the V750.. just cause its faster ??