Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crown Graphic, Speed Graphic: focal plane shutter...

Re: Crown Graphic, Speed Graphic: focal plane shutter...

I use my Speeder for hand-held photography. I've owned two of them. The shutters work fine on them both. I bought the newest one (to me) 5 years ago. For landscapes and portraiture and other tripod work, I think there are better choices. I use a Burke & James Speed Press 45 for that kind of work. It has many more front movements available. I bought one off of e-bay with a 6 1/2" Raptar in a Rapax shutter. I prefer that lens for the things I do with this camera. It also comes with a reversable back, which I like. The only thing you can't do with it is use barrel lenses, which the Speed does, of course. I prefer the Aniversary model as it is much easier to make lens boards for. As far as Hassleblads go, I've never seen one in 4X5, and it is a reflex camera, like an RB Graflex. If you prefer reflex cameras, it's a good one. I have trouble composing on the ground glass on reflex cameras. But maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    I use my Speeder for hand-held photography. I've owned two of them. The shutters work fine on them both. I bought the newest one (to me) 5 years ago. For landscapes and portraiture and other tripod work, I think there are better choices. I use a Burke & James Speed Press 45 for that kind of work. It has many more front movements available. I bought one off of e-bay with a 6 1/2" Raptar in a Rapax shutter. I prefer that lens for the things I do with this camera. It also comes with a reversable back, which I like. The only thing you can't do with it is use barrel lenses, which the Speed does, of course. I prefer the Aniversary model as it is much easier to make lens boards for. As far as Hassleblads go, I've never seen one in 4X5, and it is a reflex camera, like an RB Graflex. If you prefer reflex cameras, it's a good one. I have trouble composing on the ground glass on reflex cameras. But maybe that's just me.
    I have two Speeders and a few RB Graflexes. I love the RB's, especially the Series D 3x4. Too bad 3x4 film is so hard to get. I still have some Ilford special order FP4+, but will have to revert to the roll film adapter if I run out before the new orders come in. My big problem with the Speeds is the weight, I have a difficult time using them hand held any more.
    Michael Cienfuegos

I've got 7 Graphics - 2x Speeds, one with TopRF, and one with SideRF. The Crowns, 2 with SideRF, 3 with TopRF.

It's just a really bad habit. Currently making my own RF cams. It's a slow process!

I've only had three Graphics in my whole life. My first was a pre-Anniversary, a gift from my grandfather, in 1947. The second was a 3.25X4.25 RB Graflex that I bought in Detroit, because I'd left my Speeder at home in California. My current one, an Anniversary with Grafloc back. I had to buy that one because some vandals burned my house down, cameras within, of course. In my opinion, the Speed is the most versatile hand held camera ever made. I don't think it's too heavy, and I'm 75 years old. Nice negative size, good rangefinder, good viewfinder with parallax adjustments speedfinder with parallax adjustments, and heavy enough to make hand held exposures possible down to 1/10th second. And no wastage of film, like with rollfilm cameras. You just gotta learn how to get the best out of it. I use pan film, ortho film and paper negatives in mine. I prefer the Anniversary Model for two important reasons. First, because lensboards are very easy to make, and second because of the better shutter speeds available on this, and previous models. If you buy one, be sure to get a copy of Morgan & Lester's book, "Graphic and Graflex Photography".
    Quote Originally Posted by nonuniform View Post
    I've got 7 Graphics - 2x Speeds, one with TopRF, and one with SideRF. The Crowns, 2 with SideRF, 3 with TopRF.

It's just a really bad habit. Currently making my own RF cams. It's a slow process!

Dean,

It's hinted at above, but not made explicit, that there are two different kinds of backs for these cameras:

Spring back, which just takes regular film holders, and the Graflok back, which allows you to use standard film holders, roll film holders and Polaroid backs.

You can find the vintage Graflex catalogs describing the difference on CameraEccentric's web site.

If you might want to shoot Fuji instant film in a Polaroid 405 back, or shoot 120 roll film, it makes sense to hold out for a camera with a Graflock back.

If you're not in a hurry, you can almost be certain that one will turn up on your local Craig's List for a lot less than $400 sometime over the summer.

It you're patient, that $400 will buy you both a Crown and a Speed, and you can decide for yourself which is best.

Note how many confess to owning more than one. It's a slippery slope.

If you want to try the Burke & James, I've got one that you can have for cheap.
    Vincent

AnonymousPictures.tumblr.com

Graflex.org

I didn't want to confuse the issue, but there are really three backs, believe it or not, in semi availability. The Grafloc, of course, and two spring backs. One is the Graphic back, the other the Graflex back. It doesn't make any sense now to have two different spring backs available, but it did way back when. A lot of newspapers used both Graphic and Graflex cameras until after WWII. Graflex cameras came in only their own back style, so some newspapers ordered their Graphics with Graflex style backs. If you are interested in selling that B & J 4
    x5, I'd be interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Pidone View Post
    Dean,

It's hinted at above, but not made explicit, that there are two different kinds of backs for these cameras:

Spring back, which just takes regular film holders, and the Graflok back, which allows you to use standard film holders, roll film holders and Polaroid backs.

You can find the vintage Graflex catalogs describing the difference on CameraEccentric's web site.

If you might want to shoot Fuji instant film in a Polaroid 405 back, or shoot 120 roll film, it makes sense to hold out for a camera with a Graflock back.

If you're not in a hurry, you can almost be certain that one will turn up on your local Craig's List for a lot less than $400 sometime over the summer.

It you're patient, that $400 will buy you both a Crown and a Speed, and you can decide for yourself which is best.

Note how many confess to owning more than one. It's a slippery slope.

If you want to try the Burke & James, I've got one that you can have for cheap.

Are you sure that the Graflex back is a spring back?

I ask because my little RB Series B Graflex SLR has a Graflex back. One edge of the film holder slips under a fixed retainer, the other is held in place by a slider. No springs anywhere.

The Graflok back has springs, a film holder can be slipped under a Graflok back's focusing panel just as it can under a Graphic (for sure spring) back's focusing panel. The differences between the two are that the Graphic back's focusing panel is permanently attached to the camera, while the Graflok's is detachable and can be replaced by, e.g., a roll holder that will be held in place by two sliders.

My apologies. It was 50 years ago that I had that graflex. All I remember is that the light trap between the film holder and camera was different. But, still, there are three patterns of back.

I prefer the Crown, it is smaller and lighter and can fit in a 35mm shoulder bag very easily. I don't miss the focal plane shutter I used to have on the first one I bought, which was a speed.

If the Crown is indeed "excellent" with a clean lens and a Graflok back, I don't think $400 is much out of line these days.

The telephotos are excellent lenses and by design help with length of bellows issue. The 15" one, in particular is a gem.