Thread: Hello Large Format Universe

Hello Large Format Universe

I have been slowly moving toward large format for nearing half a century.
    35 mm Nikon F then added a 6 x 6 Rollei TLR.
    Played with an old military 4 x 5 Graphlex while in the Navy in the early 70's.

Time for some large format, there is some nearby river valley scenery
    deserving of what large format can do so picked up a good condition
    Graflex 4 x 5 to start.
    Large format darkroom equipment was available in driving range
    from a professional gone digital.

Has anyone tried using the ZipWall spring loaded poles and black plastic for an
    EZ up and down temporary darkroom wall?
    Best

George
    Kentucky US of A

Re: Hello Large Format Universe

greetings from a galaxy far far away, grin
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Hello Large Format Universe

Hi welcome from Australia.

Most people use a Harrison style changing tent for field trips.

I am going to be developing on the road, out bush etc using a jobo and 12v battery rig
    I have also seen some good threads about various light proof tents.
    One being a fishermans igloo style tent for 150 bucks

Other ones might be a hydroponic tent though not as easy.

If that's what you mean.

Or black plastic in back of truck.

A small tent and black plastic glued on might be cheapest if printing.

But a change tent is all you need

They have Chinese film changing tent on eBay for $142. Free delivery.
    Looks nice and roomy.

Harrison's have ability to be pegged down

Any way.
    Enjoy
    Andrew.
    through a glass darkly...

Gleaf,
    Just reading your post now. Hope you will see this.

I think I understand what you are asking / proposing. You are not looking for a portable darkroom that is "field deployable". You are looking for an easy way to create a temporary / semi-permanent darkroom at your house. I have just been going through the same thought exercise.

I've though about all the normal courses of action: what room / bathroom in the house, how to black out the windows and lightproof the doors, how to lug equipment back and forth, what will the sink be, do I need running water?, maybe a split dry side / wet side in different locations, blah, blah, blah. Having done all this in the past in different properties, I stopped short of implementing any of it in favor of the fundamental question: "How can I have a dedicated space?"

What I finally decided is that I can spare a corner of my garage, but that I did not want to completely commit to building hard walls. This is both for the fact that 1) I might need the space for some other project at some time 2) I want to try out the space / configuration / concept before I permently commit to anything. As well, my garage roof has issues and now that the rainy season has ended (California), I'm going to be getting a new roof. So, whatever I put up, I'll want to be able to easily break-down, then reassemble after the re-roof.

I considered all sorts of temporary structures, from ice fishing tents, to grow tents (aka dope farms), to the outrageously expensive Nova darkroom tent, to building framing with 2"X4" 's (or 1"x2" 's) with screws not nails for dissasembly, to PVC pipe structures, to PVC pipe structures with some sort of temporary / heat softening cememt.... Started to like the PVC idea, where I would just stretch sheeting or blackout cloth over the area... but it still seemed like it would be a lot of fiddling.

THEN, I rememberd the ZipWall stuff (saw it when contractors were doing some water damage remediation in my Mom's house). There are some videos on their website http://www.zipwall.com/ which tell the story pretty well. Just imagine your space in their videos -- and instead of clear plastic sheeting, think about black 6 mil plastic or blackout cloth.

I plan on using an existing wall and 90 degree corner of the garage, so I only have to make up 2 walls with the ZipWall. My existing wall space has an electrical outlet and pegboard already on the wall (which will come in convenient for storing items, mouting safelights, etc.). I plan on cutting an exahaust fan into the wall itself. Now, the only thing I have to figure out is the door. I suppose their ZipDoor system could be used, but part of the beauty of a dedicated space is that it should be "hassle free". I think a zipper door will be a complete hassle (although I might opt for one for dust containment in the room while it is not in use.)

For the door, if I wanted to splurge on extra poles and use extra space, I supposed I could do one of those "light maze" open passage-ways... But, for one person, that seems like overkill. I think I will figure out how to do some sort of double curtain setup with blackout cloth (or what they call "camo cloth" / "duvetyne" in the movie industry).

For light seal against existing hard walls, ZipWall has a nifty foam closure and clamp. That could be used, but I think it's overkill and overexpense. The foam pipe insulators for plumbing would probably do just fine, OR even their nice double stick tape to just seal the plastic to the wall.

Light seal for the ceiling (don't trust my ancient garage ceiling not to have some pinholes in its batten batten board and tar paper construction) is simple: Just carry the plastic sheeting over/around the top of the space.

I could also see this concept being used in the corner of an interior room (bedroom, office, laundry, basement, etc.) All the reasons why it makes easy and complete partitioning (and easy and compelte breakdown and storage) for the construction industry, make it an intriguing solution for a darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    Has anyone tried using the ZipWall spring loaded poles and black plastic for an
    EZ up and down temporary darkroom wall?
    I have not used the ZipWall poles but I have made a temporary darkroom using black plastic and it worked rather well. I used a double layer of heavy black poly from Home Depot. The only real issue I found was the poly always seemed to be full of static electricity and it really seemed to attract dust so I had to be carefull not to brush up against it.
    I used the temporary darkroom for a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    I have not used the ZipWall poles but I have made a temporary darkroom using black plastic and it worked rather well. I used a double layer of heavy black poly from Home Depot. The only real issue I found was the poly always seemed to be full of static electricity and it really seemed to attract dust so I had to be carefull not to brush up against it.
    I used the temporary darkroom for a year or so.

Very useful, practical feedback. If the static is an issue (which now that I think of it, I'm sure it will be) I guess I could use a de-ionizer type device, or swab the plastic with dryer sheets, or mist with a soapy solution, or have a "discharge brush" touching it and then grounded (like laser printers have)...

But, wondering if there was a layer of fabric on the inside of the plastic, if it would prevent the problem from occurring in the first place... I guess I will find out.

I think we are doodling along the same lines. Also for antistatic properties... black antistatic plastic sheet ... 3M has a product that has carbon filler in it for use in electronics packaging. Velostat series is the original carbon filled sheeting. The new kid on the block is LINQSTAT "Volume Conductive Film"
    http://www.caplinq.com/volume-conductive-sheeting.html. Volume Conductive equals it is fully static dissipative in its volume not just a surface treatment. Does not wear out. Edges can be heat sealed etc. Not cheap like contractors plastic. HEPA air filter and an ion source as used with micro/miniature soldering might be less expensive and just use contractors plastic.