Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developer times for ilford FP4 4x5 film

Developer times for ilford FP4 4x5 film

Just wondering if anyone could give me advice on developing 4x5 film? developer stop and fix times etc..
    Thanks a lot

Re: Developer times for ilford FP4 4x5 film

"...with the grandeur of true simplicity", Patrick White, "The Tree of Man".

massive development chart

There are many theories on development. I personally believe that you should use a diluted developer- I use D76 deleted 1 part water with 2 parts water. I use HP5 at ISO 300 and normal development time is 14 minutes. With normal minus development times of 12, 10, 8 minutes for Normal - 1, Normal - 2, Normal - 3, per the zone system. What ever developer you should do film speed tests to determine ISO and not change mid way through your testing. Google for how to do he zone system to find out how to do these types of tests.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

What a weird question.

I am getting good results with HC-110 following Jason Brunner's HC-110 recipe. Diluted 1:49 for 11 minutes in trays and I am doing about 9.5 minutes in my jobo tank. Stop and fix as normal.

thanks for the replies, apart from Pawlowski6132 why is it a weird question? i'm new to large format photography, (I'm sure at some point you were as well) and was simply inquiring if anyone had any tips on development times to get the best results possible. Apologies if to you that seemed a "weird" question.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

massive dev. chart is an excellent source, www.digitaltruth.com, if you ever need to know the reciprocity characteristics of this film there is a really cool formula, not sure who came up with it i cant remember but it is dead on accurate. pm me if you want it, i would post it but my notebook is in my truck. I shoot fp4 often i develope in trays i stop for 30 sec and fix for usually around 5 min, fix is diluted 1:4 good luck
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I am getting good results with HC-110 following Jason Brunner's HC-110 recipe. Diluted 1:49 for 11 minutes in trays and I am doing about 9.5 minutes in my jobo tank. Stop and fix as normal.
    He has a "note to the civilized" :-) on that page. What is the difference with the european version (assuming we are the civilized, of course :-P).

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik2494 View Post
    thanks for the replies, apart from Pawlowski6132 why is it a weird question? i'm new to large format photography, (I'm sure at some point you were as well) and was simply inquiring if anyone had any tips on development times to get the best results possible. Apologies if to you that seemed a "weird" question.
    I think Pawlowski6132 could have stated his objection a little more elegently and explicitly. Your question is not weird, simply complicated. Development times are dependent on the intended use of the negatives (scanned vs enlarged gelatin silver vs pt/pd vs carbon; you get the idea), method of development (dip and dunk vs tray shuffling vs rotary) and water quality, to name a few. So, ultimately, you will have to test your own methods for your own use. There are plenty of sources that will help you get started in this process.

That said, I remember being in a place where I just wanted some kind of starting place, so here is my method for normal FP4+ negatives intended for enlargement onto variable contrast gelatin silver using a diffusion head: open trays with constant shuffling (each negative lifted from the bottom of the stack and placed on top once in each 30 second interval), Xtol 1+3 @ 75 degrees, 7 1/2 minutes, diluted acid stop bath, Sprint hardening fix for 5 minutes, Permawash for 2 minutes, wash for 20 minutes.

Good luck in your journey.