Thread: Sinar bellows compatibility between 5x7/13x18 Norma and F & P series

Sinar bellows compatibility between 5x7/13x18 Norma and F & P series

I have read and heard a lot of conflicting opinion whether you can mix and match between current (F & P series) and Norma bellows on 5x7/13x18 cameras. Some say that bellows from 5x7 F & P series metering backs do not work with 5x7 Norma cameras. (I haven't seen bellows for 5x7 non-metering backs in the catalogs, do they exist?) I have also heard and read that this is only the case with 8x10.

So, any first hand knowledge?

Re: Sinar bellows compatibility between 5x7/13x18 Norma and F & P series

Anybody?

FWIW, the rear frame of the 5x7 bellows in my Sinar F2/P kit measures about 20.5 cm square. I don't think my 5x7 back is a metering back, but I'm not sure how to tell.

Have a Sinar P2 13x18 cm/ 5x7" metering back, all black including back lifter levers. This back is compatible with the earlier Norma style 13x18cm / 5x7 non meter back with the center back lifter and leather bellows. Have both styles and they interchange fine.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    I have read and heard a lot of conflicting opinion whether you can mix and match between current (F & P series) and Norma bellows on 5x7/13x18 cameras. Some say that bellows from 5x7 F & P series metering backs do not work with 5x7 Norma cameras. (I haven't seen bellows for 5x7 non-metering backs in the catalogs, do they exist?) I have also heard and read that this is only the case with 8x10.

So, any first hand knowledge?

Thank you both!

As an update to my question, I purchased a 13x18 Sinar Bag Bellows 455.27, which is the current bellows that fits on the F & P series cameras. Sure enough, it does fit on my Norma, however the fit is not quite perfect. The rear frame on the current model is made of plastic as opposed to milled aluminum on the Norma, and is a little thinner and a little bit more flexible than the Norma bellows frame. Here are two pictures from my Norma bellows:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NormaBellows_Back.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	86621 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NormaBellows_Side.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	86622

And here are two from the newer 455.27 bag bellows:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBellows_Back.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	86623 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBellows_Side.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	86624

The newer 455.27 bag bellows do create a light-tight seal against the rear standard. However, because the fit is a little looser and the plastic frame is more flexible, it is possible to bend the frame a little bit off the standard and create a light leak. In any case, I will play with this a bit more and see how it works in real use.