Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying with sheet film

Flying with sheet film

Anyone got good information on getting sheet film through security and airport X-rays these days? How about to France and back?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC3870.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	85328

Re: Flying with sheet film

There's some threads on it perhaps search for flying.

Haven't flow overseas with it.

Last trip, I shipped it ahead. It's technically safe in carry-on, but there's a risk they may want to open the box. Kodak's 3-piece box gives some safety margin in this risk.

Very safe, just don't put your film in checked baggage.
    And what Vinny said.

I wouldn't worry about it at all - Flying from Melbourne to Reykjavik and back last year - I must have gone through security control about 10 times - didn't notice any fogging on my TXP320. As long as it's carried on, not checked in.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Specifically concerned with SHEET film. They seem to generally still recognize roll film, and I can always tape a big "ISO 800" label on it. Just had a security person try to open a 50 sheet box of TRI-X sheet film before 911. Haven't flown with sheet film since I don't think. Usually ship it ahead. Never tried going to France with it.

Should have had the good sense to do a search before asking question. Got it covered in other threads! Thanks for your good works, folks!

Technological advances to lower the effective radiation level in screening devices is a positive thing toward carrying on but it is a variable we have absolutely no control over. There are literally hundreds of thousands of X-ray screening devices all over the world so the assumption of carry on having no effect on sheet film is a wild assumption. I have been told that there are many older machines still being utilized because of budgetary considerations from a friend in he business. I have had film fried to a crisp in the screening process and will never go down that road if I can ship it.

Les

If you can, try going to the airport a day or two prior your flight and check in regard to procedure. TSA folk is not all that knowledgeable about sheet film. I'd take an exposed sheet (if you have any handy) and show them what they look like...and perhaps you can talk with the supervision
    as to how this should/could be handled appropriately. You don't want any rude surprises during your security screening. Slapping "do not open in daylight" may just have the opposite response from these people. I often wonder how much training (if any) these people receive. I do recall (in the last year) how air-rocket looked too suspicious and was detained in Newark....and no one thought of putting it through an X-ray.
    Good luck.

Les

Just put it in your carry on bag and let it go through the machine. This is safe and still the best course of action...especially, in Europe.

I am flying regularly between Europe and the US, often with sheet film (usually Kodak TMX) and just send it through the X-ray in the carry on luggage. No problems so far. As mentioned before, do not put in checked baggage, the scanner is much stronger ! If you are flying within Europe, a possible related problem can be the much lower weight allowance for carry-on, it depends on the airline and can be as low as 13lbs, and they do often weigh it at check-in. Although I do not use one otherwise, I have used a photographers vest filled to the brim with equipment to temporarily reduce that weight.