Thread: 4x5 at Clarke Hearings!

4x5 at Clarke Hearings!

Okay, at first glance I was curious if David Burnett's lead photo on page 26 of TIME magazine April 5 2004 had to be large format because of the unusual focus plane. I didn't give it much thought UNTIL I saw the lead photo in NEWSWEEK on page 20 of their April 5th issue.

There, standing alone but poised proudly among all of the digital equipment is a Speed Graphic!!!!

Anybody in the forum know Burnett well enough to get the full story?!?!

4x5 at Clarke Hearings!

Okay, at first glance I was curious if David Burnett's lead photo on page 26 of TIME magazine April 5 2004 had to be large format because of the unusual focus plane. I didn't give it much thought UNTIL I saw the lead photo in NEWSWEEK on page 20 of their April 5th issue. There, standing alone but poised proudly among all of the digital equipment is a Speed Graphic!!!!

Anybody in the forum know Burnett well enough to get the full story?!?!

--bill, 2004-04-06 04:44 PM

Replies>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View Camera magazine is working with him for a story later this year.

steve simmons

4x5 at Clarke Hearings!

From Dave Burnett:

...this past year has been my final year of High School Speed Graphic training, and while doing some work in DC and on the primaries (NH,Iowa, and a dozen other states).. it has been a great, fun, exhilarating, annoying, hideous, wonderful experience. The hideous part is when you put the slide back in, and a piece of film has buckled, and only YOU in that room know, can feel it, feel the resistance, and are aware that you just have to pull the holder, grab that naughty piece of film, put it in your back pocket as fast as possible, and move on to the next one, hoping you didnt screw up EVERY frame that you loaded. Once in a while you get a frame that looks great, and makes it all worthwhile. I m carrying the total Hybrid Package (Canon 10d, Rollei 3.5 Xenotar, and the wonderful Speed Graphic whose focal plane shutter has let me, or more precisely, forced me to slow down as I look at things, and try to get back to getting that ONE picture in a field of a million 1/125ths of a second. And in response to someone who said "what is he doing with it" the answer is simple and expected: Trying to GET it Published!...

...Work flow: i wish i had one.. the digital keeps me up way too late, which i get to after going into the bathroom of the homewood/marriott/fairfield/4points/super8, close the door, lay towels against the door cracks, take off my luminous dial watch, and swap out the shot frames for fresh ones, trying to remember how many of each ive done. Im a lousy bookkeeper, but i usually get it within reason... dont forget NOT to open the box in daylight and count them (It HAS happened)...

the main issue is schlepping more un-related gear.. the 10D Canon (with a 28/50/135) , the rollei, and the speed on a small velbon tripod (life saver) with a cable release. The other most important item is the have sized reading/close up glasses ($5 at Costco, #2) which lets me actually get my silly eyes close enough to a ground glass to see when its sharp. I have a Linhof Master Tech.. its a gorgeous Ferrari like piece of gear, but the Speed G seems to be more like a '64 Plymouth Fury with a Hemi under the hood.. nothing on it is automatic.. (oops, forgot to pull that darkslide before shooting.. oops, forgot to put the slide back in before recocking the shutter.. there are a LOT of potential OOPs es..).. but int he end, its really fun, and in this life, FUN is no small item.. especially when youre as lucky as I have been the past 5 months to have editors at TIME who seem to agree, and are running the pictures with high, and highly appreciated, regularity.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

4x5 at Clarke Hearings!

Check out

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=7350

and

http://www.pdnonline.com/photodistrictnews/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2085686

Li-hsia

4x5 at Clarke Hearings!

I saw it at condomleaky Rice hearing too.