Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar P Question. Which 8x10 Standard Bearer is more sturdy?

Sinar P Question. Which 8x10 Standard Bearer is more sturdy?

My thanks in advance to all who contribute.

I have a 4x5 Sinar P and recently acquired an 8x10 changing kit.
    I want to go for an actual 8x10 standard bearer which from my research will give me a bit more stability.
    What is the general opinion on the available standard bearers for 8x10.

The Special Standard bearer, and the Heavy Duty standard bearer are the two I am aware of.
    What are the differences? Is there a difference in geared movements vs non geared movements. Which is more stable with an 8x10 standard.

All details are appreciated.
    I hope I have put forth these questions properly.

Thanks!!!

Re: Sinar P Question. Which 8x10 Standard Bearer is more sturdy?

Good luck finding one of these. Unless you want to pay more than the price of your whole camera for a new one from Sinar. I went through this with a Sinar F2 8x10 and still looking for the "Special Front Standard". Pretty scarce item in my experience.

+1

Hard to find ... Easier to find the camera at a lower price ...

I have both P and P2 8x10, both have different rear standards as there is a difference between metered back and standard back

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Good luck finding one of these. Unless you want to pay more than the price of your whole camera for a new one from Sinar. I went through this with a Sinar F2 8x10 and still looking for the "Special Front Standard". Pretty scarce item in my experience.

Thanks for the info. However, I would love to know the differences between the two (or three) rear 8x10 standard bearers.
    I'm more interested in the technical differences as well as the rigidness of them.

Didn't realise there were two versions of the 8x10 rear standard bearer. I have 4 of the 8x10, heavy duty standard bearers (which can be identified by the "boxed-in" shift wheel and longer rise column).

There were general 4x5 front and rear standard bearers - I have seen these on 8x10s before but have no idea if they were assembled that way by Sinar or have been cobbled together since. There is also a special 8x10 front standard with greater rise.

The irony is that (in my experience at least) for 8x10, the generic standard is easily strong enough to hold the rear standard and back. The front is where you really want a special, beefed up standard to support the big, bulky 8x10 lenses with movements.

To my understanding there is an "8x10 Special Standard bearer" that does not have geared movement for tilt or swing. The tilt is accomplished by releasing the lower lock which faces you from the back. The swing is accomplished by releasing a lock on the right side at the upper plate. I'm not sure about the others, but they most likely have geared movement for all possible movements like the 4x5 only the 8x10 has a T shape as opposed to the L shape of the 4x5. What I'm trying to find out is if the geared 8x10 Standard bearer (heavy version or otherwise) is as rigid as the 8x10 "Special Standard bearer". I have heard that the "Special Standard bearer" without the aforementioned geared movement might be more rigid and stable because of those missing gears.
    If anyone has experience with both and would like to comment, please do!!

Hermes07,
    If you would be so kind and post a photo of the 8x10 heavy duty standard bearer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone?

I'll make a note to take a photo but my DSLRs and large format equipment are in separate studios, neither of which are anywhere near where I am at the moment.

Honestly, just get whatever version you can acquire in good condition and use it. I use my bearers for formats larger than 8x10 which is why I opted for all heavy-duty - if you're shooting 8x10, they're all plenty rigid.

The Special Standard Bearer 433.52 provides a lower zero point for rise and fall on the rear standard, to help align the 8x10 frame with the front standard. It also offsets the shift movement so that the 8x10 frame will be more easily centered, compared to the normal Standard Bearer 433.51.

Near as I can tell from my Sinar literature, there is no difference in how the movements work--they are all geared alike.

And from the picture in my 90's copy of "Sinar--The Camera", the rear special bearer has the same movement range as the regular bearer, except that the movements are positioned more appropriately for the larger frame. The distance between the top of the scale and the shift slide is greater for the regular bearer, and the shift scale is positioned to be more centered over the rise scale and less centered over the monorail. The special front bearers do have more shift and rise/fall movements.

They do call the special bearer "heavy duty" in "The Sinar Code", but the pictures of them shown in the catalogs don't show them to be beefier in any noticeable way. That's unlike the rise columns in the F2 special front standard, which are noticeably thicker in addition to being longer.

Rick "whose Sinar literature happened to be handy" Denney