Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zone VI Type 2 Variable Contrast Enlarger, any advice for new user?

Re: Zone VI Type 2 Variable Contrast Enlarger, any advice for new user?

Negative carriers. A little lighter built than I might like. I thing the 5X7 has a slight "bow" in it. Have to lay it on a piece of glass and see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3297.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	85361 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3298.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	85362 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3299.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	85363

Five negative carriers and five lens boards. There was a loose lens flange that fits a Schneider 240mm I bought from England that I have been going slightly nutty trying to find. Fits. There it is.
    Last edited by Robert Langham; 13-Dec-2012 at 14:40.

Seem to be missing some cords. The ebay photos show the unit set up with a smaller 4X5 aristo VC head on it. I've up the Zone VI 6 X 9 head on it and seem to be missing wires.

Wonder what this is? Feels heavy, like ballast. The long cord coming out with standard wall plug is labeled "Lamp." The other cord shorter doesn't seem to match anything I have- it has an odd female round connection on it.

Name:	IMG_3301.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	85364 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3307.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	85378

Any advice would be appreciated!

Update: Robbed cords and got it up and running, changing color and timing off the timer. Still worried I didn't work this thing above into the mix....
    Last edited by Robert Langham; 13-Dec-2012 at 14:24.

Robert
    The plug labeled "Lamp" plugs into the compensating timer. Your picture looks like the power unit for the original cold light head. I have the type 1 which think will be similar. My power unit has three cords one is the lamp one is the main power, labeled preheat and the last is hard wired to the cold light head. The VC head has all of this built into the head.
    Hope this helps some.

I'm mostly concerned with running a power cord from the head directly into wall socket. I have the piece of gear that feels like heavy ballast...but I can't figure out where it goes. Looks to me like this needs to be between head and wall but the cord that fits the little round plug is missing.

Mark Noble had several enlargers and various bits and pieces of darkroom electrics, like most of us. They pretty much boxed up anything that looked like it MIGHT have had anything to do with this enlarger and sent it along. In the ebay photo he has the OTHER head, a smaller Aristo Grid unit, on the enlarger.

Top back of the enlarger lamphouse. One powercord goes to the timer from "Timer" socket. One goes directly to wall plug from "power" socket. Besides needed now power cords, any comments? I'm worried about the one going directly to the wall socket.

Name:	IMG_3308.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	85383

Robert! Just took a quick walk to the darkroom to check my type ii 4x5 vc head. There are three wires coming out of the head. Two are power cords. The receptacles on the head are labelled "power" and "timer," so that is where they go. IIRC, the direct power cord is for the heater in the head, I.e. the stabilizer circuit, and I definitely have that plugged into a power outlet. The third connection on the head is a flat cable which connects to the variable control unit (the box with three dials: soft, hard, and overall intensity). You have larger format versions of the head, but with luck all of them follow the same design and work the same. If that is the case, you just have a few spare components from other zonevi enlargers (type I).

Just double checked your photo, exactly like my enlarger head!

Robert
    Hating to add to your confusion but, I think you have the components to two types of heads. The heavy ballast thing is for the standard Cold light head it wasn't used with the VC head. The VC heads were plugged into the timer and the power was plugged into the power outlet. Some where on this forum the manual for this enlarger was posted. Peter is correct the top of the VC head has several connections, power, timer, VC control unit and a light sensor connection that goes to the timer.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your time and attention to my confusion! Now if I can just find a long enough 7/64 hex wrench to level the head....(my lens board stage uses a sightly DIFFERENT size hex!) Just found fresh power cords for the unit at Walmart. Nikon 210 went right on the lens board. Nearly there. Except for actually learning to drive the thing.

If there is every anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Name:	IMG_2156.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	85390

R III

Here you are courtesy of Ben Dewell.
    http://www.rangeoflightphotography.c...n%20Manual.pdf