Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paterson 8x10 contact printer

Paterson 8x10 contact printer

My Paterson 8x10 contact printer, the glass is scratched. Is there any way of replacing it? It looks glued into the plastic holder, I'm afraid I'd break it.

Question #2, what is the most popular way of making contact prints? DO most just get a piece of heavy glass and place it on the negative? What makes a good base?
    I could easily make a 8x10 raised base and get a piece of glass and just lay it on top.

What does others, with more experience do? Just buy a new Paterson???

Thanks, Bill

Re: Paterson 8x10 contact printer

I have used a Delta 1 contact printer for years, replacing the glass once. Very solid steel and glass.
    http://www.thecamerashoponline.com/i...roducts_id=280
    Truth be told though, the base board and a piece of 1/4 inch glass would do fine.

Thanks, I just placed an order with Freestyle.
    Most places do not carry it anymore. Probably getting out of DR supplies. I'll bet they have memory cards!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    My Paterson 8x10 contact printer, the glass is scratched. Is there any way of replacing it? It looks glued into the plastic holder, I'm afraid I'd break it.

Question #2, what is the most popular way of making contact prints? DO most just get a piece of heavy glass and place it on the negative? What makes a good base?
    I could easily make a 8x10 raised base and get a piece of glass and just lay it on top.

What does others, with more experience do? Just buy a new Paterson???

Thanks, Bill
    I bought a new one and still have the old one. I don't see how I can remove the glass without breaking the plastic, so I'm interested in any suggestion.

Stefan.

Joel Edmondson

I always preferred the plain piece of glass approach (with 2 pieces of tape on the baseboard to designate the alignment edges). Obviously this doesn't work well for smaller formats but for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 it always suited me.

I managed to replace the glass on mine although it was a few years ago. If I remember correctly there is two pieces of plastic that wedge the glass in the slot. I think I used something like a steel rule to flick them out, I think, it was a few years ago. I may have lost the plastic pieces as mine is now wedged with cardboard.

Just how bad are the scratches? IF they are shallow, almost like cleaning marks, perhaps you might find a product that will fill them without causing any diffraction. Perhaps you could check with a glass company that does the windshield repairs for cracks and divots.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I like my Printfile proofer set on the baseboard of an enlarger. I used a piece of heavy glass for years but lifting it up, setting it down, registering the paper and negative and picking it up again repeatedly was a hassle without getting the inevitable fingerprints or picking up debris of some sort. The Printfile proofer really speeds things up for me.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I ordered a new one, and it is very similar to the Printfile model.

How does everyone keep the contact printer and probably the easels from sliding around the base board?
    Bill

Lenser, one of the scratches is pretty bad, needs to be replaced. I like the Paterson but I can't figure out how to replace the glass, it's glued into a piece of plastic.
    I'll try and force it, if it breaks, Oh Well.
    Bill