Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment in Morocco

Hopelessly Lost

Assignment in Morocco

So, looks like I have some shooting to do in Morocco in January and would like to shoot this project on 4x5 but my biggest hesitation is not the weight or bulk - Ill have assistants but getting film into and out of country. Mainly, Im worried about passing through security and getting it hand checked. I travel with 120 all the time and never have a problem because it looks like film, they can swab the individual rolls and what not. Explaining that the heavy handed security folks can't open the film box (especially once shot and with no factory seal) scares the hell out of me.

Any recent experiences with that?

Any one?
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Re: Assignment in Morocco

Can you fedex it in/out of country? Spendy, but might be less hassle w/ airport security...

Dan

I had no issues whatsoever bringing in both 120 and 4x5 film & gear into Morocco when I visited in March.

OK, I *did* have to explain to them exactly what all my Grafmatics were and what my Aero Ektar was for, etc. etc. to the custom's agent, but all in all, it was a smooth pass through. I'm talking Casa Blanca, FYI.

Not quite sure what this thread has to do with Morocco. You'll go through security screening at whatever airport you fly to Morocco from, not in Morocco, unless Morocco is now X-raying incoming baggage, which it wasn't doing two years ago, and which would surprise me.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

The OP did say "getting into and out of the country". So one legitimate worry with security is on the way out of Morocco.

With that said, I know from personal experience that the Customs agent (or whoever they are, near the exit area of customs) can & will take interest and decide to inspect what you're bringing in to the country. My one experience of that went smooth without problems, but it is conceivable that you are asked to do stupid stuff like "Open that Grafmatic holder of yours so that I can actually see it's film inside there!"

Well unless things have changed in the last two years, there will be no film check on the way in. On the way out, I am unaware of any complaints about film being adversely affected during screening, but of course there are many people who distrust any screening of film. If in doubt, just mail it.

I can say, as a matter of personal experience, that I shot 120 film in Morocco two years ago, that the film was X-rayed at Marrakesh airport on the way out of the country and that I had no problems with development.

Can you fedex it in/out of country? Spendy, but might be less hassle w/ airport security...
    Surely Fed ex is subject to the same level of x rays as checked luggage?

After years of discussion about the alleged effect of airport security machines on film, one has to wonder whether there is any end to his subject. Nobody that I know of, in about fifteen years, has ever had a problem.

I've never been to Morocco, but I do lots of international travel and have recently been to shooting trips to Egypt, India, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, etc...

I always send my film through the carry-on x-ray machine. As long as I send it through (and NOT in lead bags), I've never had anyone request to open the boxes. I do print out labels in english and the languages of every country I'm passing through that say something like "Exposed photographic film, open only in complete darkness". I usually have my local translator/assistant translate the label for me ahead of time to make sure it's correct.

Also, when I'm working overseas (or on important local work), I shoot at least two sheets on each photo using the same holder. Then when I unload my holders, I put the duplicate sheets in separate boxes. That way if one box gets opened, lost or damaged I'll still have the backup sheets in the other box.

Have a great trip!

multiplex

hi hollis

never been to morocco but it sounds like fun !

if you have an empty film box you can offload your film into, and some clear tape
    clear tape seal your boxes ( tape the seal you broke when you opened them.
    just bring your film in your carry on, and have a good time.
    i do that when i visit family in france, never have had trouble

good luck !
    john