Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Share your experience with Elwood 8x10 enlarger please

Re: Share your experience with Elwood 8x10 enlarger please

I didn't notice a discussion of the enlarger lens for your 8x10. When I got mine it came with a 10" Kodak Ektanon. I wasn't happy with the sharpness so I switched to a 210mm Fax Nikkor. This sounds like a 5x7 lens, but it actually covers 8x10 well, and is much sharper than the Ektanon. I'm now using a 180mm Repromaster. It also covers 8x10, is sharp, and allows me to get much bigger enlargements on the baseboard with the ceiling height I have.

Your glass must be from an older wooden Elwood. My parts list for the metal C-2 shows the glass as rectangular. Four pieces with three heat absorbing and one sand blasted. Mine didn't come with the glass so I've never seen it in person. I went straight to an Aristo head. I've been using mine for my main LF enlarger for many years with no problems. I've got a V54 lamp in my head and put in a filter drawer for Ilford 12x12 filters.

I have two Elwoods in my darkroom, a 5x7 and an 8x10. I paid around $200 for the 8x10 about thirty years ago at an auction in Pittsburg. I got the 5x7 for $5 from a guy near Ithaca NY after I brought a 4x5 Besler from him. I use them all. I've brought a Omega F color head with the intention of mounting it on the 8x10. I like the quality of the prints the original diffusion head makes, so I may never mount the color head on it.