Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exposures for Graflex Crown Graphic 5x4

Exposures for Graflex Crown Graphic 5x4

True, ic-racer, but a narrow enough range that one can't be inattentive to it.

Re: Exposures for Graflex Crown Graphic 5x4

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    "Proper exposure" is a range of acceptable exposures.

J. L. Simonds, 1961
    Well, no it isn't. There will be an optimum exposure for any scene. If you are using the entire tonal range of the film, any deviation will result in a loss of detail in either highlights or shadows. Only very low contrast scenes will give you any wiggle room.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    That Graflex is an inert object. It doesn't "like" anything.
    I was speaking in a friendly, pleasant way...

I know the rules of exposure, I know how to meter properly and develop negs but any new (particularly new old) cameras need testing to see how that particular camera behaves. I am finding this camera needs (ie 'likes') to be overexposed. Be that because the shutter is out of sync or whatever, I am trying to reach conclusions about *this particular camera*.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

If you get the shutter overhauled your particular camera will likely need/like different (normal; uncompensated) exposure.

Catriona, I've read all of your posts in this thread. Something isn't right. You say you have a 150 Linhof Xenar. It is probably a 150 Xenar in a Linhof badged Compur shutter. These shutters typically run slow, i.e., overexpose, as they age and their lubricants thicken. They hardly ever run fast, i.e., underexpose.

The best way to find out what a shutter does is to measure its speeds with a shutter tester. Check all of the speeds, not just one, since speed errors often vary with the speed. On this point, I have a couple of ancient Compound shutters that, by test, run fast at low speeds and slow at high speeds. My Compurs, Copals, and Rapaxes are typically bang on or a little slow at slow speeds and slow at their higher speeds.

The second best way is with film, but with reversal film, not negative film as you used. This because negative film has such broad latitude that its hard to draw conclusions for <sarcasm> relatively </sarcasm> small errors such as you've found.

Dan, the slowness of Compounds at the longer speeds is often due to the seals at either end of the cylinder leaking. I've made new seals out of blotting paper, two thicknesses soaked with beeswax.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.