Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kami mounting fluid -- Formula

Re: Kami mounting fluid -- Formula

Here's a link to one post

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/S.../message/14472

A search for paraffin on the ScanHi-End group yeilds ~43 results, there's some banter, but the reprographic industry has used paraffin (inert mineral oil) for decades for mounting film to scan

One consideration not discussed often is the refractive index of the mounting fluid - IIRC paraffin has a refractive index very close to film, so it forms an additive layer, which fills in scratches and imperfections in the film also, without distorting anything optically.

Don't take the above as gospel, but it's well worth researching...

peace out

Glenn

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Thanks, I found most of it.

Has anyone tried this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansodor

Sansodor just passed the "styrofoam cup test" here.

That looks promising.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Reviving an old thread to try to get new information.

We had been using Lumina scanning fluid as it seemed much less noxious than Kami but how the company selling it has recently went out of business. We've been experimenting now with Sansodor with good results other than it takes a lot longer to dry than Lumina. We came to try this as it was suggested by Coisassdavida in this thread. Are there any updates on a safer alternative to Kami?...or perhaps just going by the odor of a substance isn't sound reasoning to determine how harmful a chemical is but Sansodor is sold by Winsor & Newton as it's safest least noxious paint thinner and brush cleaner claiming it to be 3 time safer than turpentine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as we use a ton of fluid both traditionally and as wet gate fluid on a Lasergraphics movie film scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrachrome View Post
    Reviving an old thread to try to get new information.

We had been using Lumina scanning fluid as it seemed much less noxious than Kami but how the company selling it has recently went out of business. We've been experimenting now with Sansodor with good results other than it takes a lot longer to dry than Lumina. We came to try this as it was suggested by Coisassdavida in this thread. Are there any updates on a safer alternative to Kami?...or perhaps just going by the odor of a substance isn't sound reasoning to determine how harmful a chemical is but Sansodor is sold by Winsor & Newton as it's safest least noxious paint thinner and brush cleaner claiming it to be 3 time safer than turpentine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as we use a ton of fluid both traditionally and as wet gate fluid on a Lasergraphics movie film scanner.
    Gamsol has worked fine for me. Some speculate it is same as Lumina, don't know for sure.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 25-Aug-2022 at 10:46.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Since we reviving old threads. How does one safely deal with these mounting fluids indoors? My darkroom/scanning system is well ventilated but would the sparks inherent in most electric fans cause a safety hazard?

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Since we reviving old threads. How does one safely deal with these mounting fluids indoors? My darkroom/scanning system is well ventilated but would the sparks inherent in most electric fans cause a safety hazard?
    Don't water your fans with mounting fluid(or any fluid)

In all seriousness, yes, having some ventilation is recommended. Either into a larger "atmosphere", or, ideally, outside. If you can setup a small fan to suck the fumes away from you, and blow them out a window, that would be best.
    I've done all my mounting, indoors. Granted, I'm not a service bureau so my volume is quite low in comparison, so I've never bothered. Keeping a window open too long always seemed to allow more atmospheric dust in than anything.
    In short, don't huff the stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Gamsol has worked fine for me. Some speculate it is same as Lumina, don't know for sure.

Sandy
    Just bought some Gamsol...Yeah wow, this stuff is truly pretty much odorless and is also a little more volatile than the Sansodor which is nice because Sansodor dries too slow. I'll be testing further soon.. Thanks for the tip!