Thread: Optronics ColorGetter Hawk software and hardware

Question Optronics ColorGetter Hawk software and hardware

Hi for everybody!
    I can buy optronics colorgetter hawk for very little cost, but there are not software and hardware with it. Seller has said, that scanner turns on and condition of drum is 4+. Also I have opportunity to buy ColorRight v.5 with GPIB-cable and card. What need I also use this scanner and where can I buy additional drums?

Thanks

Re: Optronics ColorGetter Hawk software and hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian_Gray View Post
    Hi for everybody!
    I can buy optronics colorgetter hawk for very little cost, but there are not software and hardware with it. Seller has said, that scanner turns on and condition of drum is 4+. Also I have opportunity to buy ColorRight v.5 with GPIB-cable and card. What need I also use this scanner and where can I buy additional drums?
    Colorgetter scanners come in two parts. There's a scan unit (big and heavy, right at 100kg) and a much smaller control unit (typically a 386 / 486 based PC with a special board in it). That's the scanner. Other parts you need to run the scanner are the boot diskettes (3.5" floppy) for the control unit, and the calibration diskettes for the control unit (set of diskettes and a ND filter matched at the factory and sold (when you could still get them) as a matched set), and of course the cables. You can find manuals around the 'net.

Then to use it you need a user interface so you can talk to the scanner and tell it what you want it to do. This requires an old Mac computer running OS8.6 to OS9.2 (IIRC, and no it will not run on anything more modern), and software from ColorByte (ColorRight Pro 2.0 is the current version. If you are going to scan negatives (B&W or color) you definitely need ColorRight Pro 2.0. ColorRight 5.x isn't going to do it for negatives). This computer must have a compatible GPIB board and the drivers must be setup correctly to let it talk tot he scanner over GPIB.

You'd have to see the drum to know how good it is (what the heck is a 4+?). It should be perfectly clear. Slight hazing is usually OK (depends) as the scanning fluid usually (again, depends) fills in the tiny scratches. Visible scratches and scuffs usually (again, depends) show up in the scans making that part of the drum useless. And there aren't any sources for drums other than the used markets.

If all they have is the scan unit, all they have is a box of parts. Without the control unit, you're toast. And really, without the Mac and its GPIB board, you're mostly toast.

My advice is to only buy a turnkey system that can be demonstrated to you as a fully working scanner. Scan a typical film at 10x or higher, and go through it in Photoshop at 100% pixels very carefully looking for scanning artifacts (you'll know 'em when you see 'em). Once you've done that, you'll have some real information you can use to make your decision.

I'd do this with any scanner, not just ColorGetters, and not just drum scanners. Just sayin'.

Bruce Watson

Thank you for your reply, Bruce.

Can you tell me about performances of Optronics Hawk/Falcon upgraded, ecpecially compared to the Howtek 4500/7500 series?
    And I can buy SCREEN 1045AI in good condition
    Which scanner is the best of this set?

Eugene.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian_Gray View Post
    Hi for everybody!

Thanks
    Hello Dorian
    I have the equipment you need. I have the mac with the Board, the latest software 5.5 and the dongle, with manuals and the controller CPU. I also have 2 Colorgetter scanners. I am selling up and moving out of my studio. The color getters are very good and easy to use, they are slow but if you shoot large format or any film medium then you have the skills of patience. I have done scans up to 300 meg and the quality is exceptional. Most of the images on my website are shot on film and scanned off the Colorgetter... link http://www.vespacurry.com/pages_2/travel/trav_001.html

If your interested in buying the necessary gear please email me... raoul@vespacurry.com

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Colorgetter scanners come in two parts. There's a scan unit (big and heavy, right at 100kg) and a much smaller control unit (typically a 386 / 486 based PC with a special board in it). That's the scanner. Other parts you need to run the scanner are the boot diskettes (3.5" floppy) for the control unit, and the calibration diskettes for the control unit (set of diskettes and a ND filter matched at the factory and sold (when you could still get them) as a matched set), and of course the cables. You can find manuals around the 'net.

Then to use it you need a user interface so you can talk to the scanner and tell it what you want it to do. This requires an old Mac computer running OS8.6 to OS9.2 (IIRC, and no it will not run on anything more modern), and software from ColorByte (ColorRight Pro 2.0 is the current version. If you are going to scan negatives (B&W or color) you definitely need ColorRight Pro 2.0. ColorRight 5.x isn't going to do it for negatives). This computer must have a compatible GPIB board and the drivers must be setup correctly to let it talk tot he scanner over GPIB.

You'd have to see the drum to know how good it is (what the heck is a 4+?). It should be perfectly clear. Slight hazing is usually OK (depends) as the scanning fluid usually (again, depends) fills in the tiny scratches. Visible scratches and scuffs usually (again, depends) show up in the scans making that part of the drum useless. And there aren't any sources for drums other than the used markets.

If all they have is the scan unit, all they have is a box of parts. Without the control unit, you're toast. And really, without the Mac and its GPIB board, you're mostly toast.

My advice is to only buy a turnkey system that can be demonstrated to you as a fully working scanner. Scan a typical film at 10x or higher, and go through it in Photoshop at 100% pixels very carefully looking for scanning artifacts (you'll know 'em when you see 'em). Once you've done that, you'll have some real information you can use to make your decision.

I'd do this with any scanner, not just ColorGetters, and not just drum scanners. Just sayin'.
    Hello Bruce
    You know your game around an Optronics Colorgetter scanner. Are you a technician or operator...?

I'm thinking of selling my "Optronis 2" scanners, I have two of them... But unfortunately the CPU had a bad day today and seems to have blown. You mentioned the CPU is simply a 386 / 486 based PC ... does that mean I can transfer the GPIB boards from my blown unit and it will work. Or is there some firm ware that has to travel as well. I have a full set of discs for 5.1 ???
    My other option is to keep the unit, but I have an issue with the blue stepping motor... I think this is the problem. And I would really like a clear drum, the two I have have crazing in some areas.. Is there anyway to fix the crazing???

Any advice is welcome. Thank you Regards Raoul

Hello every one. Any body has access to the manual for colorgetter 3.
    Thank you

I need help my Optronice colorgett 3 pro stepper motor is not getting the correct power. I will stop and make weird noises and it will make the correct sound like it is returning to home but does not turn the lead screw. I plugged the motor into a working colorgetter 3 pro and it worked no problem. I am guessing it ti some kind of motor controller does anyone know what circuit board drives the stepper motor?

Thanks mark