Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New Chamonix in 3 months-ish

Re: New Chamonix in 3 months-ish

To be honest except the addition of the universal bellows I don't see any changes between the 045n1 and the 045F1 that would give you more rise with shorter lenses. I think you can order those bellows for your camera separately if you want to save the cost and hassle of a full upgrade.

True enough. For some reason I remember not wanting the universal bellows but I can't remember why. I think I had inferred that my 47mm XL wouldn't work on it but I'm pretty sure the flange-focal distance is enough that the u. bellows would be fine for it. Thanks.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

for a beginner, can you suggest the new chamonix?

best mh

Quote Originally Posted by MHoth View Post
    for a beginner, can you suggest the new chamonix?

best mh
    That's a hard question and it's got nothing to do with the camera. It really depends on you. Some people try sheet film and then find out that it's not for them. That's why most of us recommend buying that first camera used. That way you won't suffer much cash wise if you decide to sell.

Yes, you can start off with a field camera and I think the F1 would be a great choice in a field camera because it is so rigid. That said, I have never used a Chamonix. I own a Tachihara which is lighter but not as rigid. The Chamonix is a little different and has a free moveable front standard that needs to be screwed down. I have never heard any complaints about the camera and in fact all I hear is raves. Look up Chamonix 4x5 N2 on YouTube for videos showing how to use the camera. The F1 is quite similar to the N2 so the video will give you an idea.

MHoth, go to the lounge and down 14 from the top. Hugo posted Frank Petronio's positive opinion about the F1 after he bought one. Frank is a professional photographer who has used a lot of cameras.

I am new to 4x5, although not to film. I shoot XPan, and even a 617 view camera regularly. Anyway, I love my new Chamonix 4x5 F1. The asymmetrical back tilt means that (if exaggerated perspective is OK with you with the front objects) it just takes one focus and tilt to make Scheimpflug work for you. It still has regular swing and tilt of course.

Any way, highly recommended.