Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x10 Photography

4x10 Photography

Couldn't find a thread featuring this format so I thought I'd start one... I just began this a few months ago with a split dark slide on an 8x10 camera. I started out stitching two or three 4x5s and decided to try out 4x10 to get it all in one shot.

I originally wanted to use my Schneider 110XL with the 8x10 but after using this setup I encountered a few obstacles:

1) Since the split dark slide forces you to compose using the lower or upper half of the film you will often need a lens designed for 8x10 with room for movements in order to compose without getting distortion (using camera movements).

-as an addendum to this, for some images I have stuck with stitching 4x5s in order to get a 4x10 image or even longer if the lens permits, because 1) it allows me to use the center of the image circle, thereby optimizing the optical quality of the lens and
    2) you can usually squeeze more than 10 inches out of a lens with a huge image circle if you camera has ample shift movement. The main problem with multiple 4x5s is making sure one doesn't fumble one of the many steps in shooting 3 pieces of film
    while shifting the standards, as well as checking focus from the extremes of shift.

2) Using a short lens such as the 110mm on 8x10 requires a lot of bellows flexibility, so as to align your composition along the top of bottom of the film and correct for optical distortion. At this point a bag bellows would make things a lot easier for me.

A most recent one,

E100G, 300mm lens

Curious to see what others have....

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Re: 4x10 Photography

cool! good idea for a thread
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

John: Great view point and image. Can you get down to there legally? There are a lot of times when I've travelled into NYC from NJ either by train or car, and see landscapes I would love to photograph, but can't figure out where I could legally set up a tripod!

Great thread! I have been shooting 4x10 for a few years. I am shooting a Canham 8x10 with a 4x10 Back. This Image was shot with a Fuji 250 CMW lens and Velvia 50 film.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monument Valley 2008 4x10.jpg 
Views:	778 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	84122
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

I hope this is welcome. I do the same split darkslide thing with 4x5, so it's really a 2x5 but the shape is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    John: Great view point and image. Can you get down to there legally? There are a lot of times when I've travelled into NYC from NJ either by train or car, and see landscapes I would love to photograph, but can't figure out where I could legally set up a tripod!
    These tracks have been abandoned for several years now, it's pretty much open territory the only problem is parking near there. Speaking from personal experience there are some very high security areas in this region, mostly concerning the container terminals, bridges, power plants. You also can't shoot on turnpike exit ramps, don't ask me how I know. But I can give you more detailed info on this location via PM. You can also climb Snake Hill (dead ahead in the pictures) and get some spectacular vistas of the surrounding terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Squires View Post
    Great thread! I have been shooting 4x10 for a few years. I am shooting a Canham 8x10 with a 4x10 Back. This Image was shot with a Fuji 250 CMW lens and Velvia 50 film.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monument Valley 2008 4x10.jpg 
Views:	778 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	84122
    Christopher and Scott, very nice work. Looking forward to seeing more.

Scott-- I have been considering the Fujinon lenses now that I require a larger IC. Any idea how they are in terms of light falloff around the edges using movements?

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

hi dakotah, do you have any pics of a 4x10 back made from 2 old 4x5 backs, i have a couple of old calumet 4x5 cameras
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

John

4x10 requires 270mm of coverage. The Fuji 250 CMW covers 320mm. You have room for modest movements before light falloff comes into play. I also use the Fuji 300C and Fuji 450C which have all the coverage you will need for any movements required. For wide angle and more movement I use a 210 G-Claron Dagor type lens which has enough coverage for 8x10 with reasonable movements. Fuji lenses are wonderful lenses!

Dakotah

I know 8x10 holders can be cut to make 4x10 holders (Canham). I would love to see how you make two 4x5 holders into one 4x10 holder?
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

Since you only need a lens to cover 4x10 you don't always 'need' an 8x10 lens, If you mark the GG with a sharpie you can use front rise to compose the image on the top half of the GG.

ANother tip...when you've shot the 'top' image you can 'bracket' the image by flipping the back as if you were a left hand shooter and the image will now be in the right spot to be exposed on the other half of the film.

Another tip...when you make a 4x10 dark slide from an 8x10 remember to leave a 1/2 or so of the original dark slide near the handle end as this will be the plug to stop light leaking in. Fidelity/Lisco holders use just one single light trap so with half a dark slide in the holder there is a chance that light could leak in right at the point the dark slide ends.