Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color printing

Color printing

I came across Bruce Barnbaum while asking for book recommendations that dealt with the zone system. A friend said that, in his opinion, Bruce's book, The Art of Photography, was the book to get. Anyway, I didn't know anything about Bruce Barnbaum, but after reading his book, I realized what a great photographer he is. I realized how much I have to learn from him about making prints.

Now, I don't want to say, "the only complaint I have is...", but if I had to say what was the one thing I wish I had learned more about would be traditional color printing. If B&W is a dying art, this, color, may be a dead issue. At least when it comes to printing. It appears most people, and Bruce Barnbaum is one of them, have switched to shooting color film and printing digitally.

My question is, is there someone out there still printing color in the darkroom? Someone of the caliber of Bruce Barnbaum who still prints color in the darkroom, someone who has not switched to the hybrid system being used these days? Is there a book someone can recommend? I know I may be fighting an uphill battle, but I hope there is still someone out there. Thanks.
    --Mario

Drew Wiley

Re: Color printing

Nothing dead about it. Quite a few people are still at it, including me. It's even being done
    commercially right in your own town with traditional enlargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Nothing dead about it. Quite a few people are still at it, including me. It's even being done
    commercially right in your own town with traditional enlargers.
    Thanks, Drew. That's good to hear. That's great news. Can you recommend a book about color printing?
    --Mario

Drew Wiley

There's nothing in print I'm aware of that will give specific current products; but the basics
    of printing RA4 from color negatives hasn't changed a lot, and you could do a search for
    Kodak color printing guides. These were revised from time to time, and my copies were maybe from the 80's. Used bookstores often have odd's n' ends of various old Kodak books,
    or you could do a search on EBay or some big used book house like Powell's, or even on the
    member forum here. Beyond this, color printing directly from chromes involving Cibachrome
    is now no longer feasible. Things like dye transfer printing or color carbon are quite involved, and need a fair amt of special skills and equipment. RA4, however, is fairly easy,
    and the relevant films and papers are readily available. It's a good time to get into it because used darkroom gear is selling so reasonably.

Mario,

There are still some of us color printers left. The problems are the ability to find materials. I still have a whole refrigerator full of paper, but I believe that Fuji still sells paper in sheets. The trend is large rolls, presumably to supply the few labs that remain. You can buy a roll for several hundred dollars and cut it to length yourself. I have not seen Kodak in sheets for several years, but it may be out there. That leaves Fuji for my choice of paper.

As far as chemicals go, I have been buying the CPAC brand C-41 and RA-4 for nearly two years after the price of Kodak's C-41 Bleach jumped from around $28/gallon to $47/2.7 liters. The chemicals work just as well as Kodak's did. Refer to my post here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=cpac Check with your chemical supplier.

I use the Jobo CPP2 to develop both film and prints, but the prints I develop with the Jobo are usually the final one of a kind. I also have a DoMac 17" roller processor that enables me to develop prints 16" wide. I use this for running my test prints and also for printing a series as long as the chemicals hold out. This is convenient because with the DoMac you aren't having to dry the Jobo tube before making the next print.

I hope this provides some help in getting started.

I should also note that the Freestyle catalog also lists a couple of suppliers for each the C-41 and the RA-4. I could recommend some books on doing color developing and printing, but my library is so out of date that you might not be able to find the references. I would recommend getting onto Amazon.com and searching on phrases such as RA-4 color printing or C-41 film developing. They are likely to have some used books listed that you can try for a couple of dollars.
    al

Drew, Al, thanks for your responses. I guess what I'm specifically looking for are books on printing "technique" not on how to develop color film. I guess what I was trying to explain was how impressed I was with Bruce Barnbaum's printing technique, how knowleadgeable he was, etc. Is there a book that covers color printing techniques? Thanks.
    --Mario

Drew Wiley

There are many out-of-date texts for technical information. The Kodak guide I mentioned is
    perhaps the closest you'll come to a well-illustrated introduction. This kind of thing is best
    learned by someone currently doing it. In this area a number of colleges still teach color
    darkroom. Cut sheet printing paper is readily available, and you can do this if you have a
    colorhead-equipped enlarger, a temp control bath, and a simple drum processor. Color printing is very different than black and white in a number of respects. Perhaps the hardest
    part of the learning curve is evaluating your negatives. That can be done with a proof sheet, or nowadays the labs can furnish you with an inexpensive JPEG disc sufficient to
    judge general characteristics. With experience, you can forego this. Maybe after I'm retired
    I can set up some teaching arrangement, but my private lab doesn't have sufficient elbow
    room. Enough people seem interested, however. I don't know if the public darkroom in Hayward would want to take on these kinds of classes. The art academy in SF has a pitiful
    void in analog technique, but a heck of a lot of color paper is currently being sold to schools here on the East Bay, so someone is still in the act. Fine printing is an acquired skill
    just like in black and white, but potentially involves certain advances techniques no longer taught in
    schools.

Drew Wiley

As per Barnbaum, he has his own way of doing things, and did a bit of Cibachrome at one
    time, but for all practical purposes, that particular process is now obsolete. You can go to
    Chris Burkett's website to see some shots of how that process is done. Todd Gangler has a
    UTube presentation of color carbon, and Jim Browning and certain others have sites showing dye transfer technique, which is quite involved to get into. C-printing onto paper
    like Crystal Archive is generally considered so elementary that only a handful of people get
    into things like advanced masking control for it, including myself. But one need to get to
    first base, and learn the basics, before proceeding. And I'm quite certain that no book exists which will give you the specifics, otherwise I would have written it!

Mario,

As Drew says, "C-printing onto paper like Crystal Archive is generally considered so elementary that only a handful of people get into things like advanced masking control for it, including myself." In fact for myself, most of my printing process involves color adjustments and perhaps a certain amount of dodging or burning. I never use masks.

Just taking a quick look at Adorama, the Kodak papers come in 164' rolls of N surface in either 50", 40", or 30" widths only. No sheets! The prices run $400, $350, and $255 per roll respectively. So Crystal Archive appears to be the best choice for sheet paper.

I also did a search on Amazon to see if there were any books listed for color printing. It did not turn up anything of interest. If you are looking for good examples of LF color landscape prints I would recommend books by Jack Dykinga, David Meunsch, John Fielder, John Shaw, etc.

You should be able to emulate the look you want through darkroom practice. Much of the success of the final print, however, is dependent upon the photographer and the image he puts on the negative.
    al

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain