Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for backpack for 8x10"

Recommendations for backpack for 8x10"

I would appreciate any recommendations for backpacks for an 8x10" camera. I have a Ansco/Agfa which, I believe, doesn't fold up as compactly as a Dierdorff or Wisner. I would also like it to hold about 10 film holders, meters, filters, darkcloth, and other assorted stuff.

I use a Tamrac backpack for my 4x5" Wisner Technical Field and I am extremely happy with except that I can't actually fit the camera in it...lol. I just carry all my accessories, lenses, film holders, and everything else in theTamrac and carry the camera mounted to my tripod over my shoulder. To transport the camera itself (in the car, and for storage), I just use an Igloo cooler - the type that is shaped like a house with a sloped roof where the handle is at the ridge and it swivels to open. I just grabbed it to temporarily carry my camera when I first got it years ago and it has worked so well that I never saw any reason to change. I just wrap the camera in the darkcloth and it fits in as snug as a bug. Shock resistant, sheds rain (but not waterproof!) and it doesn't attract attention. But the 8x10" on my Ries A series tripod will be a little heavy for hiking so I would like to get a bag that will hold the camera and the rest of the stuff. Then I could just toss the tripod over my shoulder.

I'll appreciate any recommendations that anyone might have.

Thanks. This forum is wonderful!

Hi Tom

Check out LowePro's web site for their new AW Super-Trekker II. I'm using it to carry a Sinar P-2 5X7 with 2 bellows and all else one lugs into the outback. Should be close to what you're searching for.

Of course, also Google this forum for previous backpack chat.

Best regards,

Tom,

If you find a backpack that will fit your Ansco, please post the information and what you think about it. I also use a Ansco/Agfa 8x10 and have been looking for a backpack that it would fit in.

I don'y know the size of your Ansco, but I had a heck of a time finding someting big enough to fit my BUrke & James 8x10 Commercial View (flat bed). Seems to be a bit bigger than anythign else around...

After a long search and some reports, I gave the Osprey Transporter a try. It's not a true backpack, but a duffel bag that you can wear like a backpack. I got the Large size. It just fits the B&J with a little padding, 6 or 8 flm holders, several lenses, meter, compendium shade and misc accessories. To tell the truth, it's heavy enough that I'm not sure I would trust it much either on my back or with tha carry handles. The company swears it will hold the weight though. I haven't "packed" it much...

I just took a flea market pack frame and added a shelf that I made from sheet and strap aluminum from Home Depot. I found a large foam lined nylon bag with a zip top (might have held some kind of studio lighting equipment) and strapped it on. The camera slides down next to the frame and leaves room for another bag in front of it for film holders and such with the dark cloth and lenses on top. About $15. Works great.

The f64 backpack BKG (I think that is the model) can hold an 8x10 aystem with few problems. i have an older one which i use to hold either of my 4x5 systems or my Ansco 8x10 and lenses, meter, etc. F-64 has a decent site, and there is ample info about the pack at dealers like B&H.

It sure isn't pretty or the most convienent, but a large ALICE pack will lug that B&J around. I should know, its what I'm currently using. However, the medium size will NOT work. I also know that from experience.

As for the original poster, I'm sure the same large pack will work for you as well.

The ALICE packs are the US Army issue ruck sacks. Top loading, uses an external frame. You should be able to find one from a surplus dealer for less than $20, and probably another $20 for the frame, oh, and then another $10 for the straps. The large pack requires you use the frame and straps, the medium and small can use just the straps.

Real backpackers will tell you its not the best system for packing large loads long distances. I won't argue, 'cause I'm not a real hiker. However, for the price ($20, I already had the straps and frame), its probably tough to beat for short walks.

gfen, I've heard that about Alice packs before. I mail ordered a "large" Alice a while back. It would just barely hold the B&J and nothing else (it would have to have some padding). So I gave up on it and went for the Osprey. Now, whether or not I actually got a large is open because I have nothing to compare it to. Had it been bigger, I would have been happy to use it...

I've the f64 BPX and it suits the Zone VI 8x10 with three lenses. The small side pockets take the meter, filters, lupe, cable release, etc. The space left for film holders is limited - I tend to take them in a separate bag. This is a very comfortable backpack, is extremely well made and allows you to walk for miles!

My only complaint would be the limited space for film holders.

Tom I don't know what Tamrac packback you have, but my Tamrac 787 photo backpack holds my Tachihara, 3 lenses on boards, meter, film holders, and all accessories, with room to spare. I even think with a little reconfiguration it would hold an 8x10 field camera. Check them out.