Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 180mm Apo-Rodagon Enlarging Lens

Re: 180mm Apo-Rodagon Enlarging Lens

It was nice to reread this thread and refresh my memory on the specs of the 180mm Apo Rodagon that I still have. 2x to 6x optimum range . . . that's ideal for a 4x5 enlarging lens. A 150mm enlarging lens is nice, because it's a little longer than what's needed in an enlarging lens. The 180mm enlarging lens carries that a step further.

Drew Wiley

Used my regular 180/5.6 Rodagon yesterday. I like it for its very even illumination of 4x5 negs or chromes, and was my preferred lens for Ciba printing unless I needed more speed. My apo is the Apo Rodagon N 150/4.5 - very contrasty and with superb microtonal discernment, but sometimes a bit over the top. I often use it for 6X9 enlargement in preference to my 105 Apo N, due to its perfectly even illumination (no corner or edge burning needed). I kinda remember, correctly or not, the 180 apos as somewhat big or longish, but otherwise a process lens which a particular party was selling for enlarging use at one time.

Sometimes an enlarging lens can be just too good. For 8x10 film, I generally use f9 Apo Nikkors; but one has to be careful because their resolution and tonal response is so very high that every little flaw in enlarger glass or subtle Newton ring (even with AN glass both sides) might show up in a high contrast paper grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, the Apo Rodagon N series are multi coated your 180 is coated.
    I just examined my 80mm Apo Rodagon N side by side with my 180 Apo Rodagon and the reflections of the coatings appear to be the same. The same purple color that I see in other multi coated lenses. My Rollieflex 3.5F taking lens is single coated and it's a yellow color.

Quote Originally Posted by dmecham View Post
    I just examined my 80mm Apo Rodagon N side by side with my 180 Apo Rodagon and the reflections of the coatings appear to be the same. The same purple color that I see in other multi coated lenses. My Rollieflex 3.5F taking lens is single coated and it's a yellow color.
    Good, but your 180 is not and never was multi coated. Only the N series are MC.