Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 180mm Apo-Rodagon Enlarging Lens

Re: 180mm Apo-Rodagon Enlarging Lens

I have one of these lenses, I am wondering where I can send it to have it completely checked out. As well where to find mounts for the lens for various enlargers.

I wonder if you can send it to Rodenstock? I know that it's possible to send lenses to Schneider. Or, S.K. Grimes?

What might be wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have one of these lenses, I am wondering where I can send it to have it completely checked out. As well where to find mounts for the lens for various enlargers.
    Check with Mike at Blazes in Toronto. They are the Canadian distributor and service center for Rodenstock. Lens mounts come from enlarger manufacyrers. To use the 180 Apo Rodagon you will need a board with a hole large enough for the 180's 58mm thread mount. That may be too large for some enlargers. Depeding on the brand of the enlarger you may or may not need a lens cone.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I was thinking about the 6X optimization spec that Bob quoted for this lens. I know that a lot of the older lenses are optimized for higher magnifications. (Although, the 90's isn't that old.) 6X seems a bit much, given that I don't think people generally print 24x30 prints.

Then it occurred to me that, as magnification decreases, one doesn't need as much resolution in a lens to achieve the same sharpness on the print. Put another way, it's when one prints the largest that they would want the best resolution.
    6x would mean that it performs optimally between 2 and 12x.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    6x would mean that it performs optimally between 2 and 12x.
    Bob, Again, thanks for the update!

I just purchased this lens. It's not the N series, but I think that it will give me good performance. It was within my price-range, where the 150 Apo-Rodagon N's fetch 2X-3X what I paid. I now have all Apo-Rodagons for my enlarging. Sweet!

While the 180 Apo-Rodagon Cat # 275018001 will technically "not cover" 5x7, it will do so almost up to a 3x enlargement or roughly a 16 x20 print size. Since most of my prints are 11x14 or smaller, I've been using this lens with 5x7 negatives for over 25 years. A 4.5" x 6.5" has a negative diagonal of 200.8 mm. At a 2x magnification (10" x 14" print), the lens coverage at f16 is 229 mm; at 3x magnification (15" x 21") the lens coverage is 204 mm. At 4x (20" x 28" print) the lens coverage is 191 mm or shy of the negative diagonal of 201 mm. At 6x (30" x 42" print) the coverage is 179.6 mm.

Mine is mounted for a Durst SM-183 on one of the smaller Lapla boards.

Luis

I have used a 180mm Apo Rodagon lens for more than 30 years. A good friend of mine purchased the 150mm Apo Rodagon lens a few years later. We did side by side tests to discover any differences. Other that the slight adjustment to enlarger head height to compensate for the focal length they were virtually identical in performance. Both stellar. I printed 20x24 Ilfochome prints with mine for many years at the aperture of F8. Totally even illumination and edge to edge sharpness. Later purchased 105mm and 80 mm Apo Rodagons. Finest enlarging lenses I've even used. Worth every penny.

I've owned a 180mm Apo Rodagon for more than 30 years and it certainly appears to be multi coated.

Quote Originally Posted by dmecham View Post
    I've owned a 180mm Apo Rodagon for more than 30 years and it certainly appears to be multi coated.
    No, the Apo Rodagon N series are multi coated your 180 is coated.

I have one of these lenses, I wanted to use it for 4 x 5 negatives, unfortunately something is amiss and it has a problem with softness on one side , not sure how to fix this or who can fix this lens these days.