Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Several Questions... Including Film Scarcity

Re: Several Questions... Including Film Scarcity

Hey, we have an international airport and IHOP. Plus my wife tells me darned near every day there is too many people here.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Brian,

I would get the D800e and one of those sliding back things. And stitch them.

In fact, I am, now that they are available. The Nikon is not in lieu of LF, but my Rollei 6008.

(Ps, add 6,000 for 3 2.8 lenses too to your cost when used LF lenses are a fraction of that).

You guys go keep on writing, he's just going to do what he's going to do... All this info is on the frontend of this website, let him read it first.

Frank,

What is the rationale for shooting 5x7?

I don't see any advantage to it. Oddball size and aspect ratio. Hard to find accessories. I don't think I've even seen a 5x7 enlarger. Rare film availability.

It's a pretty ratio. The cameras aren't twice as large even though the film area is nearly so. But the disadvantages are significant too.

The good advice here for the newcomer is just to experiment, as inexpensively as possible. Just try a camera and makes some pictures, then you'll have an idea of what to try next. But coming up with charts of pros and cons, then assigning points to various factors will just prevent you from doing anything. Use a $300 Sinar and a $300 Crown Graphic and you'll understand the range of possibilities.

Lots of people have made great pictures with garbage equipment - lots of MFAs have made garbage pictures with great equipment.

Carpenter

My two cents... LF is awesome for many reasons and I think it fits certain personalities better than others. You sound like the type that would enjoy it! I would think that investing in a light weight 5x7 (chamonix, cahnam) with a 4x5 reducing back and 6x17 roll film back would be the way to go. Sure, you can get a 6x17 back for the 4x5 but you are then somewhat limited with lens selections. This way you can shoot: 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 4x5 b+w and color, 5x7 b+w (color if you can find it), 6x10, 6x12, 6x17 with the roll film back. That is a shit load of options! Almost too many come to think of it. Plus, those options are gonna cost ya!

Screw it! Get a solid metal 4x5 camera. Maybe a Toyo 45a (a2), or a Linhof Tech iv (v). Plenty rigid and more than enough movements for 95% of what is shot. The camera and a couple lenses will set you back no more than ~$1500. If you find your shooting ALOT of wides and NEEDING tons of rise, buy the Sinar F, bag bellows, and adapter lens board and now your prepared for anything.
    If your scanning, shoot two frames, stitch and crop for 6x17. Easy peasy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    For color? D800E. I gave up LF color a long time ago. Black and white, wonderful. Color, not worth the time and trouble and MONEY. I was just reminded by looking at Galen Rowell's work, and that huge book, Himalayas, of the wonderful work done on 35mm film. If you live in a really big international city, you might be able to get LF color film processed for a few more years. If you have a lot of money to burn, then go to it. Figure you will need to shoot about 1000 sheets to get good at it, multiple that by cost of the film and processing, and make sure you are comfortable with the number. Then think about how you are going to get it printed. Optical by someone else? Take that number you just calculated and double it to cover making prints to learn what is going on. Optical yourself - you need a big, expensive darkroom for big color, and lots of time. Or go digital for printing. You will need at least a 24" wide printer to begin to make prints big enough to show the advantage of LF over a D800E. You can have someone else make your prints instead. Then figure drums scans at $100+ per negative and that same big additional number for printing. If you are rich, none of this matters. If not, think hard. Why are you going to make those huge prints? Are you a successful photographer who is already selling huge prints? Then ignore me, because you have already figured out the game and I would love to know your secret.:-) If not, and you are not rich, are you sure this makes sense?
    A DSLR? Boring!

Shooting with large format is infinitely more interesting and fun than shooting with a DSLR. Photography doesn't always need to be so pragmatic! Unless he's a pro, of course, but if he isn't, bring him into the fold!

Where's the romance in shooting a D800E? Large format photography makes me happy, it makes my girlfriend happy (she thinks I'm a genius for shooting with that thing) and it makes people in the street who watch me lump that big old camera around and sneak under the dark cloth happy. I don't make large prints (although for me 13x19" is large-ish and I'll have some A2 paper on order soon) but I could in the future!

Cool as a cucumber

They look like they're having no fun and their job sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post

They look like they're having no fun and their job sucks.
    They are shooting Canons...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardSperry View Post
    They are shooting Canons...
    Good call.

OP, how are you going to get these large prints? Also, you don't need Lf to take your time in photography.