Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless flash triggers and copal shutters

Wireless flash triggers and copal shutters

I'm pulling together a flash system to be triggered by my Copal shuttered lenses. I have a cheap chinese wireless trigger system made by Yongnuo, the RF-603N series. But they can only trigger from a Nikon hotshoe, and worse, the device that transmits will only go into transmit mode if it detects a particular ready signal from one of the Nikon hotshoe pads.

There is a mod available on the web for this device that will allow it to be triggered from the PC port, which would be perfect except I'd rather not do the mod unless it is my only option.

Are there other (preferably cheap) devices that can trigger from the PC sync signal, rather than only from a hotshoe? Is anyone else triggering lights with their large format cameras wirelessly?

Oh, I should mention that this is intended to be a very lightweight system using speedlights as my strobes. I have the strobes, which work fine with my Nikon gear, but would also like it to work with my LF gear.

Re: Wireless flash triggers and copal shutters

I use the one from Cowboy Studio that has a hotshoe and a pc-cord cable. So it can shoot on my NIkon F4 and my LF lenses. I bot it on Amazon and they're very cheap.

I use it to fire my Speedo's remotely. Work well, but haven't tested the range.

Search on Amazon for "cowboy studio wireless NPT-04"

retrogrouchy

I have the "Cactus V2" style triggers (4 channel not 16 channel, the newer ones are apparently more finicky) from eBay; I think they're "phoshot" branded. Transmitter is a standard hotshoe with a 2.5mm socket on the side and (included) 2.5mm-to-PC cable, so it plugs right into an LF shutter. Receivers are likewise hotshoe and they have PC sockets on the side, so they plug right into my studio strobes. Mine are basically identical to item #350643305790 though I got 1 TX and 3 RX in a package for $50ish.

Dump the junk and buy a couple of Pocket Wizard Plus II units. Used units can be had quite inexpensively.

They work fine on Elinchrom and Novatron strobes with my myriad Copal shutters.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks guys. Living in China I have to struggle sometimes to find what I need. We have a great camera mall in Beijing though. The CowboyStudio brand triggers are called "Nice" brand here. I found them today, and they tested fine with a copal shuttered lens I brought along.

Thanks for the help!

retrogrouchy

Wukesong? I only had an hour there but it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Wukesong? I only had an hour there but it was awesome.
    Yes, great place. Tons of used equipment if you are into collecting. They have a couple of good large format shops, one for new stuff and is packed with LF gear. The other LF shop is for used stuff. I browse both shops each time I visit, and I've bought from both.

I've also bought a number of collectible cameras and lenses from the used shops. They tend to be fair, and while they don't negotiate much, you can usually get them down a little from their asking price, especially if you pay cash.

All the Chinese manufacturers are there, so it is easy to get the Chinese brands if you know what you are looking for.

All the shops are great about taking returns. In fact I just returned a flash unit today (a Yongnuo 565EX) which is unfortunately not compatible with the new Nikon D800 (works with every earlier Nikon but not the 800, and I'd bet the 4 and 600). It's too bad, because it appears to be a great flash at a great price. But put it on the D800 hotshoe, and it goes strobocrazy.

The thing about this return is I didn't have the original box or the receipt (my housekeeper accidentally tossed them) but they took it back anyway. (I swapped it for a Yongnuo 560, which is manual only, but that's all I needed anyway for a secondary off camera flash.)

So if you come to Beijing, definitely visit Wukesong! (Contact me, I'll take you there...)

When did you visit, Polyglot?

For this purpose I got simple infra-red trigger, it was about $35. I also installed a hot shoe on top of front standard of my Cambo.

retrogrouchy

I was there at the end of September 2011 - I ran low on film on my honeymoon and had to reload. The LF prices looked a bit insane (3x the KEH pricing) but I guess if you can negotiate it will come out OK.

I was lucky I had some Chinese friends to do the talking for me. Ended up paying basically B&H pricing for my film, so that was fine.