Thread: 11x14 Extension Back for 8x10 V8 Deardorff Field Camera

11x14 Extension Back for 8x10 V8 Deardorff Field Camera

Does anyone have experience with this (expanding back)? Was it produced by Deardorff? Any idea how it performs? I was only able to find this reference:

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/Az...GID=5160&CID=3

which indicates there could be issues with rear movement, and benefit in extra extension (so less bellows extension)?

I have seen an 11x14 extension back for an 8x10 Deardorff, and it wasn't an entire rear standard as DJ suggests. I have a picture of it if you're interested. It's basically a pyramidal section that mates to the rear standard the same way that the 8x10 back does. It could present problems for back swings and tilts, but should otherwise prove perfectly serviceable. It even adds a little more extension for those long 11x14 portrait lenses!
    Thanks for any info,

Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extension.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	83437

Re: 11x14 Extension Back for 8x10 V8 Deardorff Field Camera

I don't know anything about it, but it looks pretty cool.

-DP

Looking at the color of the wood and style of the ground glass clips on the extension back shown in your picture, I doubt it was made by Deardorff. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't work as intended.

Way back in the 1980s or so I saw a writeup on a 4X5 Rittrek metal field camera with an optional 5X7 back similar to the idea shown in your picture. I've been intrigued by the idea since then. I found a post showing a 5X7 version with an 8X10 extension back: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-system-Part-1 I think the replies on the michaelandpaula site give a good summary of how well this might work, or not work. It seems to me for occasional 11X14 where movements may not be essential, such as portraits or landscape, it would probably work fairly well. If you have the woodworking skills to make the back and extension yourself, I'd say give it a try. Keep in mind 11X14 film holders are rather heavy. It may be more important than in smaller formats to make some sort of brace from the extension back down to the camera bed.

Len

The ground glass corner clips, as well as the color of the wood on the 11x14 back look like a Century product. It looks as if the color of the wood is slightly different on the pyramid, suggesting that this was an after-market affair, but nicely put together.

Thanks all for the info.

This was listed on ebay with a film holder and 17 sheets of Bergger film for $300. I decided it was a worthwhile way to try 11x14. I'm concerned about the strength of the join between modified 8x10 back and pyramid expansion, as well as calibration between GG (or Fresnel), film holder, and focal plane (e.g. if the focus will be accurate); and now, additional stress this will put on the camera bed, rack, etc.

Bill

You might try giving Ken Hough a shout. He has a lot of knowledge about the unpublished aspects of Deardorff cameras.
    I think you can get in touch with him through his web site at:
    http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

You might also try contacting him through this forum... I think his handle is
    TheDeardorffGuy

Bill