Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Format in Seattle

Large Format in Seattle

So I am currently located in Phoenix, Az and I am thinking about potentially moving to Seattle. I think Seattle is a great city, and I was thinking of living more in the Tacoma area for any other LF photographers close by.

My main question is how do you go about photographing in the weather conditions that are present in the Washington/Mt. Rainier/Olympic NP area? I understand it rains a lot, and it is misty and so am correct in believing that photographing with a large format camera is very difficult if not impossible most of the time?

If this is all true what are the solutions? A massive trash bag over the camera with a hole fitted for the lens? I am looking for a solution because I would very much like to live and produce work in the region. I am a nature/landscape photographer so all my work is produced in the forest, outdoors.

Thank you for all your help.

-Ian

Re: Large Format in Seattle

Rain and mist can be your friend for landscapes; it is currently mine along the Maine coast. The trash bag idea is excellent and I use it when I can't persuade my wife to hold an oversized umbrella. Dress in modest rain gear.

Fact is there is a lot of decent weather on both north coasts and I've found plenty of days without rain or mist in the northwest.

Nate Potter, Austin TX. and Corea Me.

Paul

I live just East of Seattle. It is true that is rains alot and it gets dark around 5:00 in the winter time. But there are usually breaks in the weather and with a little bit of luck, we get a couple weekends a month to go out and shoot. The benefit of the poor weather is that the national parks aren't very busy and the waterfalls are raging. Also, there usually lots of snow in the moutains.

That's actually a photo up here of Vancouver, Chris.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IHS View Post
    If this is all true what are the solutions? A massive trash bag over the camera with a hole fitted for the lens?
    Basically, yes. What you do is go and buy yourself a couple or three "dry bags" (example) and cut them up, and stitch and glue them back into something that's a waterproof darkcloth for your camera. I made one years ago, and it's still OK. What you need on the front of the camera is something to keep the bag out of the way. Some cameras have a little frame for this, or you can make a little frame or put it on a lens shade. I've found that it's really good against drizzle-mist.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    That's actually a photo up here of Vancouver, Chris.
    I really just stole that joke. I went to school in Rochester, NY and the joke there was that Kodak came up with the standard 18% gray card by looking out the window.

Ian - Use plastic bags, pull the gear out during a break in the rain, go out when it is really nice (like yesterday). Do a lot of shooting in the nicer months and spend some quality time in the darkroom in the depths of winter. Make a point of going out when there appears to be a break in the weather.

The weather conditions you mention sound good to me. I generally prefer "bad" weather for photography. I deal with moisture on the lens by keeping a skylight filter on the lens until I'm ready to trip the shutter. I carry an umbrella and keep the camera covered with a lens wrap or whatever else is available as much as possible but I don't worry too much about it, the camera's going to get wet to some extent in heavy fog or rain no matter what you do.

I only visited Seattle once when I lived in Oregon but I agree with you, it seemed like a great city and place to live.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks for all the remarks. I am glad there are solutions out there, and that there have been adventurous people such as yourself willing to test them out. I am hoping to move there within a year and start producing work. I have been a few times and love everything about it.

Any suggestions on affordable places to live (renting a house?) I was thinking the Tacoma or Renton area? Good, bad?