Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Forum's Value

Re: On the Forum's Value

Nice troll. As those who go to meetings say, when you have a finger pointed at someone else, you have three pointing back at you.

They also say take what you need and leave the rest.

The problem of a club for the few is that you have to keep it private. Now, how to do that?

Rick "suspecting this has little to do with what was actually written in the OP" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    I'm still big. It's the pictures that got small.
    Oh - So you are really Norma Desmond pretending to be Cindy Sherman.... Ready for your close up?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    "On the Forum's Value "
    What is the value of conversing with others on a common interest?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I saw this thread and as a new member, I thought to myself "why bother being involved".

But then again, those of us who use film are in the VAST minority and those of you* who shoot LF are in an even SMALLER MINORITY, that the more people involved and the more the word gets out there, the better off the film and Large Format community is.

But then again, if you want a small exclusive club, well, the last person can turn off the lights..

*I say You, as I am not an owner of a LF camera - I am in the 'borrowed a camera and trying it out phase'....maybe I am the type of member that the OP is talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Excellent! One aspect of the forum's value is the interface of a basically non digital medium with the unavoidable and necessary digital realm. Case in point, the link given above. I can now say without question and absolute certainty that all here are simply wasting their time. My site, thusly valued at $70, is worth 14 times – yes, over one full order of magnitude greater than this one! The internet has declared it and it is so!!!

FYI: My two other domains, one brand new, and the other undeveloped under my own name, are both apparently worthless. Personally, I am not even a blip on the internet , while my photography site rules .
    yeah but look at me.....:

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    www.eddiegunks.com = $0

Sorry bro, had to do it. I was trying to see if they accounted for all the lens you own.
    well my "friend" at my listed site www.wetplatecollodion.com is worth $470 and www.wetplatephotography.com is worth $370....both i own.....!!!! SEE BELOW

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    now, i plan on using welly's site from now on.....i like what they are saying more! from there:

www.wetplatecollodion.com is worth $2306.20 and www.wetplatephotography.com is worth $3199.30 i am rich! off to e bay to sell some domains....

so ghost boy.... ......
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

What's Canada got to do with it? I must have missed something.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Scott Davis

Ok- that's wild - according to Valuate, my personal site The Flying Camera is $610, and URL Appraisal puts it at $2506.74. I'm wondering how they ever came up with such precise appraisals. $2506.74??? Yeah, I'm going to list it for exactly that much... NOT. My blog, being part of Wordpress, is valued at $1.11M. But somehow I don't think Wordpress is going to sell their domain at anything resembling that number.

Since the OP mentioned me, here's a few facts:

I don't participate anymore actively in this forum, nor do I shoot most of my work in LF, however I am posting here more than in all other forums combined.

I've talked personally to some of the most recognized photographers working today. They told me that at some point in their careers, they found the forum to be useful, even if they didn't post themselves.

I have been offered up to mid five figures for selling the site. I declined out of respect for the forum charter and the work of volunteer moderators.

FYI http://www.urlappraisal.net thinks that terragalleria.com is 1 year old, has 0 "Inlinks" and PR 0. Credibility took a hit :-)

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    ...I have been offered up to mid five figures for selling the site. I declined out of respect for the forum charter and the work of volunteer moderators.
    My deepest thanks to you for that decision and the moderators for their extraordinary efforts.