Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Majestic Tripod/Head Question

Ted Mishima

Majestic Tripod/Head Question

So I just bought a great Majestic tripod that had a cine head on it. Upon pulling it off, all thats left is a hollow center column. I also just got a Majestic 1200 head, but the connection does not fit. The head has a larger opening than the diameter of the center column. I'm guessing there some sort of connection adapter. Can anyone confirm and with what part I need?

Thanks,

Ted

Re: Majestic Tripod/Head Question

How much larger?

My heads have a sleeve that fits in the hole, slit along one side, to protect the column
    when the retaining knob is tightened. The sleeve wall is may be 1/16" to 1/8" thick.

I seem to remember there being two different column diameters.
    Both of my Majestics have the same diameter column, 1.5" OD.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Ted Mishima

Thanks for the comment Leigh. I just measured the OD on the column of mine and it is a bit smaller. I haven't been able to find any reference to the sleeve anywhere else, but hopefully I will...

Thanks,

T

lab black

I've worked with Jerry at Bencher to have a few of my Majestic heads repaired. He has been most helpful. Maybe he can answer your question; 847 838-3195.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

I recently picked up a very old Majestic tripod and head that pre-date the Bencher take-over. The inner diameter of the bottom tube on the head measures 1 3/8" which is the same as the OD top of mounting post on the tripod itself. The 1200 heads have an inner mounting diameter of 1 1/2" to match the same OD of the newer tripod center posts, I believe.

My guess is your tripod is of an older generation than the head.

Jonathan

Ted Mishima

Jonathan,

This appears to be correct, as the tripod does look like it has been around the block for years and years. I will talk to Bencher tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

thanks

My Majestic also has a 1.5" outside diameter on the support tube. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352681388.528828.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	83391

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Ted Mishima

Well, apparently my tripod was made before 1964, in which the diameter was made smaller than the modern 1200 head. Bencher does not make a sleeve to compensate for the difference. I'm either going to have to find a pre 1964 head or have machined a sleeve that will allow me to use the more modern head... All grey tripod and heads are pre 1964 and all black equipment was made after.

Ted

Just find a piece of aluminum pipe 1-1/2" OD and 1-1/4" ID, cut off a few inches and slot it lengthwise with a hacksaw

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by xmishx View Post
    Well, apparently my tripod was made before 1964, in which the diameter was made smaller than the modern 1200 head. Bencher does not make a sleeve to compensate for the difference. I'm either going to have to find a pre 1964 head or have machined a sleeve that will allow me to use the more modern head... All grey tripod and heads are pre 1964 and all black equipment was made after.

Ted
    I have an all black model with head that I bought new in the late 70's that has the smaller diameter so smaller versions were made after 64. I use the head on my Arkay studio stand that I bought around 84 and use an adapter to go from the large diameter down to the small.

Give Columbus Camera Group in Columbus Ohio a call. They have all kinds of odd things like adapters and old heads.