Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Majestic Tripod/Head Question

Re: Majestic Tripod/Head Question

Also give Lens and Repro a call in NYC.

I thought Lens and Repro closed, Calumet has their assets ?

I thought they were still there but it's possibly the folded. That would be very sad to see them go.

Ted Mishima

Thank you Don. I'll make a few calls and see what they say. If it doesn't work out, I'm gonna go to a machine shop and have them make a shim to make up the difference in size. I just received the 1200 head today from ebay. I was using a friends 1200 for reference. The one I have is like in new condition, so I really want to make this work without spending too much more money.

T

Ted Mishima

Hey, looks like I found a solution. I shoot wet plate collodion on aluminum plates. Since the plates are malleable, I cut a piece down, rolled it around the column and made my own shim. I am probably gonna get a slightly thicker piece of aluminum for an even better fit.

T

Ted Mishima

Hey, looks like I found a solution. I shoot wet plate collodion on aluminum plates. Since the plates are malleable, I cut a piece down, rolled it around the column and made my own shim. I am probably gonna get a slightly thicker piece of aluminum for an even better fit.

T

DIY--always a good choice!

I'm still polishing up and re-assembling my Majestic tripod. The head, while old, works well, but the tripod legs and center column need some TLC before they are ready to go.

Jonathan

Ted Mishima

Jonathan and fellow Portlander,

My tripod could also use some elbow grease, derusting of some springs and screws. I have since found my tilt mechanism of the 1200 is a bit stiff , but with some encouraging words from Leigh here on the board, it appears to be an easy fix. My Chamonix 4x5 looks really great on it and is now much more steady than the lighter weight Manfrotto I was using before. I also want to screw on some rails so I can attach a platform on the head. I plan on shooting with my Century 8x10 on it as well. Finally I can use it after 25 years...

hi i have a similar problem how did you fix the tilt thanks lee

Ted Mishima

Lee,

I haven't yet disassembled the head, but it is a simple fix. There are 2 screws on the back plate and I beleive a tension screw underneath. Loosen the tension screw and take the other screws out to remove the back plate. From there, if my understanding is correct, you will have access to the worm and worm drive. I was planning on cleaning it completely and regreasing. I noticed from accessing the worm assembly thru the opening for the center column that there was grit in the grease.

Your issue may be as simple as loosening the tensions screw...

Good luck...