Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

I have a Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D enlarger lens that I need to mount to a Cambo 4x5 camera and I'm trying to figure out whats size hole I need on the board. The lens has 38mm threads so I'm thinking most likely a Copal No. 1 board. Has anyone treid this or know if I'm on the right track?

Thanks.

Re: Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/m...apo-rodagon-d/
    120 mm is not shown on above link.
    It most likely is the M39 by 26tpi Whitworth Leica mount. If you measure the thread OD with calipers or a micrometer that would be slightly under 39 mm
    If so you either can drill a clearance hole for 39 mm and use the nut that might be with the lens (spanner nut) ,
    or else cut a Leica M39 thread in the lens board.
    Here is a thread I cut on an inch lathe with Whitworth threading tool:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M39_LeicaThread.jpg  

Re: Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

Thanks wombat2go.

I guess that would mean a Copal 0 board would be the way to go then as a Copal 1 would be too large?

First you don't have a Rodenstock enlarging lens. A Rodenstock enlarging lens has, among other features an illuminated aperture. Your lens, and the other two D lenses do not have this feature. That is because it is not an enlarging lens. It is a duplicating lens. Most often used for duplicating 45 transparencies.

All three Rodenstock Apo Rodagon-D lenses; 75mm 4.0, 75mm 4.5 and the 120mm 5.6 have a 39mm Leica thread mount. The same as found on most modern enlarging lenses. It will mount to a 0 size board. It will not mount directly to the threads in a 0 size shutter.

The link to B&H's web site also shows the wrong description as well as a picture of the lens upside down.

Thanks for the clarification Bob.

Drew Wiley

Bob - how well do you think one of these D lenses (something likely longer than 120) would
    work for a bit less than 2X enlargment - specifically duplicating 4x5 onto 8x10 film?

Drew,

It is designed and optimized for 0.5 to 3.0X magnification on a maximum film size of 4x5" when used for projection. If you use it as a taking lens then the reciprocal value would be the range.

So you are probably OK. Are you going to make contact prints or enlarge the 810 film? That would make a difference, depending on how large you go and what lens is used to make the enlargement.

There is no longer focal length from Rodenstock in the D series.

Bob,

My idea is to use the lens for macro work on a 4x5 camera with a 5D MkII mounted to the back of the camera. I should be OK to get 1:1 magnification right?

I don't know of anyone who has tied this but given that it's a copy lens I suspect that both distortion and CA are well controlled in the design.

Your thought are welcome.