Thread: Cambo SCX

Cambo SCX

Hi, I have a Cambo SCX outfit that didn't come with a case. What size case will this camera fit in.. Like what is the standard size in inches for the case ?

Greg

Re: Cambo SCX

Greg,

Mine came in one of the big Calumet foam lined cases with uprights inside that cradle the mono rail with the standards in the down position. The uprights are adjustable for position inside the case so that you can set them as close or as far apart as you wish. With those set fairly tight and the bellows as closed as you can get it, there is lots of room on the sides for lenses, meter, bag bellows, loupe, several holders and dark cloth. These are no longer on Calumet's web site, but they do come up on ebay once in awhile. You can also remove the bellows, separate the standards and rotate them in line with the rail and use some kind of flatter case, maybe even a wheeled one

Here are photos of the case that came with mine. Most of the foam is still in good shape except that I need to replace that on the cradle boards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_6218.jpg   DSC_6219.jpg  
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I occasionally buy and sell camera gear to help support the hobby. Most Cambo/Calumet cameras I have bought come in black painted wooden boxes with cradle boards. The plastic cases like Dan has are a lot nicer if you can find one. Just be prepared to recover the cradle boards. Most have rotted foam due to age.

If you want something lighter you could buy a lightwear case but they are expensive.

I checked and I have a late model Calumet 4x5 monorail in a wooden box right now. The box is roughly 16" tall (with the lid closed), 11" wide and 22" long.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    The plastic cases like Dan has are a lot nicer if you can find one. Just be prepared to recover the cradle boards. Most have rotted foam due to age.
    They work just as well without foam. I peeled the rotted foam off of mine and haven't yet found a good reason to replace it (except, maybe, for a slightly better appearance).

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    They work just as well without foam. I peeled the rotted foam off of mine and haven't yet found a good reason to replace it (except, maybe, for a slightly better appearance).
    That's true.

The wooden boxes don't have any foam.

Greg, There is one of the cases like mine on ebay right now. Check it under Calumet.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg