Thread: Is IQsmart3 hard to operate?

Is IQsmart3 hard to operate?

Hi,

I found a digital darkroom for rental and I'm planning to scan 15, 120 and 10, 4x5 negatives with their IQsamrt3. I'm very familiar with Vuescan and v750 and wondering if the IQsmart3 is lot harder to operate than a v750? I'm going for best quality scan possible for big prints. Drum scanning is not my option

With the v750, I usually set the dpi to 6400 and resize to 3200 to reduce the noise.

Which Dpi should I set IQsmart3 to?

Would I have a focus problem?

Do I need some kind of ANR glass to flat the films down?

Can I lay down as many as I can on the glass and scan them at once?

How many scans would I be able to make an hour?

I'd also like to know the basic operation tips.

Thank you!

Re: Is IQsmart3 hard to operate?

Quote Originally Posted by daybit View Post
    Hi,

I found a digital darkroom for rental and I'm planning to scan 15, 120 and 10, 4x5 negatives with their IQsamrt3. I'm very familiar with Vuescan and v750 and wondering if the IQsmart3 is lot harder to operate than a v750? I'm going for best quality scan possible for big prints. Drum scanning is not my option

With the v750, I usually set the dpi to 6400 and resize to 3200 to reduce the noise.

Which Dpi should I set IQsmart3 to?

5500 is all they will actually resolve, anything higher just makes the files bigger without adding detail.

Would I have a focus problem?

I never have.

Do I need some kind of ANR glass to flat the films down?

No, the top class will press your films down, it is ANR,

Can I lay down as many as I can on the glass and scan them at once?

Yes, you do a preview scan then use the marquee tool to draw a crop around each original. If you have a lot to do the same then you can use a pre-cut mask and select it from the scan menu.

Depends on the resolution you choose and the size of your originals. I have scanned some that took half an hour each.

I'd also like to know the basic operation tips.

There are tutorials available from the oXYgenscan help menu. If you mess up a preview or scan and have to abort it, restart the scanner or you might find your files are junk. I don't know why this happens, but it has happened to me on different scanners connected to different macs with different OS versions.

Thank you!
    Your welcome.

Here's a link to a tutorial. You won't need to follow all these steps, it's quite advanced.

http://www.ownersguidepdf.com/downlo...-guide-pdf.pdf

The iQsmart3 allows you to scan into a DT file ( digital transparency ) which contains all the information the scanner is capable of capturing. The DT files are actually TIFFs so you could scan to them and then adjust everything in Photoshop at home.

If you'd like to do this let me know and I'll email you a DT file to try out, it might be easier than learning the oXYgenscan application just for one days scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterPrinter View Post
    Here's a link to a tutorial. You won't need to follow all these steps, it's quite advanced.

http://www.ownersguidepdf.com/downlo...-guide-pdf.pdf

The iQsmart3 allows you to scan into a DT file ( digital transparency ) which contains all the information the scanner is capable of capturing. The DT files are actually TIFFs so you could scan to them and then adjust everything in Photoshop at home.

If you'd like to do this let me know and I'll email you a DT file to try out, it might be easier than learning the oXYgenscan application just for one days scanning.
    Thank you! PM sent!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterPrinter View Post

Depends on the resolution you choose and the size of your originals. I have scanned some that took half an hour each.
    How about 4x5" at 5500 dpi?

4x5 scans at a resolution of 4000 take about an hour apiece, but you can set up multiples and walk away from it (though for some mysterious reason occasionally it freezes and crashes). I used to set mine up in the evening and let it run all night. See this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-or-3-workflow
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Since it is Rental, I think Scanning in DT Mode and Edit at home is the best bet. My iQsmart2 won't scan in DT Mode, and the edit the black and white points is not time consuming for me and then adjust the negative balance to remove as much as I can from the scanning software and then Adjust in a photo editing program.

Maybe it's difficult to get perfect scan using this type of scanners (I read many comments about the program have steep learning curve) but I found if you have a decent information on how to use end points and color balance, you make make a really really good scans, but sure there is room for improvement.

Scanning Full Res 120 and 4x5 film will take long time (iQsmart2 4300 SPI) and iQsmart3 is 5500 SPI (and faster too) but how much faster, I don't know.

Wish you all the best with that beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    4x5 scans at a resolution of 4000 take about an hour apiece, [/URL]
    Oh my...That's $500 for 10 4x5" scan.

Daybit, I'll email you a small DT file this afternoon.