Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most common filter size?

Most common filter size?

I'm thinking of getting a Rodenstock 135mm or 150mm as my first LF lens. Both have 49mm filter sizes. This means that B&W contrast, polarizer, and ND grad filters are all relatively inexpensive. Should I invest in larger size filters though and use a step-up ring? If so, what size should I get?

Octogenarian

Re: Most common filter size?

67mm is a popular size for newer 90,180, and 210 lenses. Fuji has standardized on that size for their latest CM-W lenses.

Generic step-up rings are readily available at B&H at modest prices.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I don't think there is such a thing as "most common". What is important is to know what the largest that will fit on your lenses. Adapter rings to go from smaller lens to bigger filter is OK but not the other way around. To be honest, over the years I have dumped such schemes and just spent the money to buy the right filters. Eliminates the hassle. I learned that the first time I had the filters but not the right adapter ring.

Another option is to look at the "universal" filter holders like Tiffen or...

The other suggestion is to really soul-search on what filters you'll be needing. I have a bunch of filters in all different sizes and really only use two or three... on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Rodenstock 135mm or 150mm as my first LF lens. Both have 49mm filter sizes. This means that B&W contrast, polarizer, and ND grad filters are all relatively inexpensive. Should I invest in larger size filters though and use a step-up ring? If so, what size should I get?
    Purchase filters in the largest size you will need, then get stepping rings to fit all the lenses which take smaller filters.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

CircularNd grads? Just not a good idea. How do you adjust them? Lee rectangular or singhray type.
    I started with 52mm, then needed 72, then 82. Get it?
    I now have step up rings on everything with 82mm lens caps as well. Not cheap but convienant.

Even in 35mm, the maker's attempts to consolidate filter sizes usually were somewhat futile when it came to the personal camera bag - all very short, long or fast lenses tend to be an exception from the rule, so most photographers only had three or four of the "standard" lenses among as many diverging ones. In LF, the makers did not even attempt to standardize - I own modern lenses in any of 52, 58, 62, 67, 72 and 77mm plus a variety of old, odd ones.

I have sixteen 4x5 lenses, from 65mm through 450mm, with filters from 49mm through 105mm.

The most common filter size in this group is 67mm, and most of my filters are of that size.
    I also have a number of filters in the larger sizes, and some step-up rings.
    Care is advised when using step-up rings with wide-angle lenses.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I’d just pick-up a few 49mm filters for now, but also start thinking about your future.

Imaginary examples:

I’m pretty sure my second lens will be a Fuji A 240mm/9 w/ 52mm threads, so I’ll get a 49-52 step up + 52mm filters.

Change of mind: I think my second lens will be a Schneider 110mm/5.6 w/ 67mm threads – and I suspect future lenses will also have the common 67mm threads – so I’ll get a 49-67 step up + 67mm filters.

I already have plenty of 52mm filters in my 35mm bag, so I’ll just get a 49-52 step up and be efficient.

I like the Lee system and might go ahead and spend the money, so I’ll get Lee’s 49mm adaptor ring + Lee filters. This will give me a great way to use rectangular GND filters.

Wait, maybe I’ll get a 49-67 step-up ring + Lee’s 67mm adaptor ring + Lee filters.

Perhaps I can standardize around two filter sizes, 52 & 67 or 52 & 77, etc. Step ups for all my lenses to those two sizes. And if I get into Lee, 52 & 67 adaptor rings...

The LF art can inspire healthy meditation about purchases!

As the Heliopan and Rodenstock filter distributor for the USA 67mm has historically been the most popular size overall but now 77mm has replaced 67 as the most popular and 82mm is becoming very popular. This is not due to filter use on large format lenses but is due to the popularity of larger lenses for DSLR cameras today.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I’d just pick-up a few 49mm filters for now, but also start thinking about your future.
    Small filters cost more in the long run because you can't use them with lenses that need larger filters.

As Bob said, 67mm or 77mm would be reasonable choices, and larger ones might be useful.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.