Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Lens For 8X10, Cost Less Than $100, That You Use Regularly?

Re: A Lens For 8X10, Cost Less Than $100, That You Use Regularly?

I've seen a few bargains on Ebay in the last several months. I saw two 14" f9 (or f10) process lenses in barrel go for less than $10 each. One was an Ilex, the other was made by Brown Manufacturing Company. The glass looked fairly decent in each. I think 14" is about the minimum focal length in a process lens that will cover 8X10 decently.

If I didn't already have a 15" Wolly process lens, I would have bid on one or both of them.

The bargains are still there on Ebay, they just don't come up very often. I think a bargain 8X10 lens comes up about once a month.

I recently won an auction for a 6-1/2 X 8-1/2 T-R triple in a pneumatic shutter for about $85. It has a pretty ugly looking separation in the front group, leaving only about 1/2 the lens diameter clear. But the separation is at the rear of the group, quite close to the diaphragm, so it doesn't cause a problem with the lens stopped down. It covers 8X10 better than I hoped. No vignetting and at f22 the image quality in the corners is more than satisfactory for the contact prints I make. No problems with low contrast.

If I want the equivalent of a 270 mm lens for an 8X10 negative, that's the one I'll use.

I wonder how many of the $$$$$$$$$ gems sold by Galli, Eddie, Tribe were purchased for less than $100? I'll duck now....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I wonder how many of the $$$$$$$$$ gems sold by Galli, Eddie, Tribe were purchased for less than $100? I'll duck now....
    Plenty, I'm sure. I left LF for a few years and in those few years I've noticed lenses that were $50-$100 selling now for $300-$400. An example would be a nice looking but unnamed projection petzval.

Consulting the pineal gland

I have a Repromaster 1:9.25/213 that I think I paid about 60 plus shipping for from fleabay.
    Huge coverage (nearly covers 11x14), sharp and contrasty, absurdly good. If it came in a shutter it would have cost ten times as much.
    The only thing I don't like is the five bladed iris, if I'm using a barrel lens I expect a nicer iris.
    Still, its been my most used 8x10 lens.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Thebes View Post
    I have a Repromaster 1:9.25/213 that I think I paid about 60 plus shipping for from fleabay.
    Huge coverage (nearly covers 11x14), sharp and contrasty, absurdly good. If it came in a shutter it would have cost ten times as much.
    The only thing I don't like is the five bladed iris, if I'm using a barrel lens I expect a nicer iris.
    Still, its been my most used 8x10 lens.
    I have one of those too, in fact I got a batch of 4 similar lenses for some ridiculous price 2 years ago. I think $7 or something. It is an amazingly good lens for the price, and they still come up under a couple of names fairly often.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The repro/process lenses can almost always be found at relative bargain prices; I'm fond of Konica GR II's and Eskofot Ultragons. But given the commitment (other equipment, effort, full darkroom, skill/knowledge acquisition...) it takes, it would seem a shame to short yourself on one of the most important variables in the whole equation. Everyone should have one or two fine lenses that fit their way of seeing without compromise.

One fortunate thing about large format photography is that it is still enough of an anomaly that when you run across an 8x10 lens in the "real world" (away from ebay, this forum, etc.), it can be quite a bargain. Keep your eyes open, they're still out there...

All that said, my first (and only for many years) 8x10 lens was a $50 (in 1978) Velostigmat 9.5" Series II in a Studio Shutter, and I never felt held back. It's still an often-used favorite, though I have an embarrassing wealth of "better" lenses.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Got a great deal from a board member on a 210mm F9 Eskofot Ultragon for $75, the lens is in mint condition. Mounted the lens in a Frank J Curry 4s Flap Shutter.
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    One fortunate thing about large format photography is that it is still enough of an anomaly that when you run across an 8x10 lens in the "real world" (away from ebay, this forum, etc.), it can be quite a bargain. Keep your eyes open, they're still out there...

All that said, my first (and only for many years) 8x10 lens was a $50 (in 1978) Velostigmat 9.5" Series II in a Studio Shutter, and I never felt held back. It's still an often-used favorite, though I have an embarrassing wealth of "better" lenses.
    Yup, just last week I bought a 12" Wollensak Anastigmat (with a fuzzalator
    Dial) a Betax for $25.00. It needs a good cleaning, oil on the innermost elements and the shutter needs a CLA. A fluke,but I'm not complaining.

Wow!
    25 USD for 12" Wolly soft-focus is a true steal, even if it's in need of a good CLA!
    I thought i payed very little for my very clean one... but it was 10 times more expensive.

I have my own extra-good deal, though:
    if we turn $ into €, i payed 100 euros a very good Cooke knuckler (10.5" series IIE)... PLUS a 4x5 Kodak Master View, a 135mm convertible Symmar, and a medium sized Brandani universal lens holder.
    That was 2 years ago, on Ebay. Not a private sale!

Recently there are less bargains, and there is an increase of professional vendors selling at inflated prices.
    The main culprit is Ebay itself, which allows endless relisting, practically free.
    The bulk of LF lenses are sold that way, so many casual sellers are brought to think that's easy to get those prices.
    Nevertheless, there are still good finds. The previous posts seem to confirm it.
    Better snatch them when it's still possible.
    Lately i even purchased a wide angle for a non-existant (future?) 11x14" camera: €40 for a Rodenstock Apo Graphigon 270mm.
    I must remember that the border between bargain hunting and GAS is VERY blurred

cheers

CJ
    have fun
    CJ

WTB (and pay good monet for):
    soft back cell for Ilex Photoplastic 5x7
    disks for Imagon 420mm
    5x7 back for Calumet C1
    5x7 conversion for Bi-System

for sale
    Photographica

It gets better CJ, three weeks ago, I met with an older couple about her grandfather's old studio equipment that had been sitting in an attic for over 30 years. For $200 and 3 mounted and matted prints I bought a Century 4a, with a semi centennial stand, a(nother...) 12" wolly SF, a 159 12.5, 8 1/2 and 12 inch Commercial Ektars, 3 boxes of other cameras (including 5 Yashica TLRs, a Lynx 14 and about a dozen older folders, some with film still in them!!!!), several split backs, a Conley shutter, the list goes on. Time to buy a lottery ticket I think.