Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this worth keeping?

Is this worth keeping?

I've had this lens for years and never really gotten around to shooting anything with it but every time I go to sell it something makes me hold on to it, I think it's the clunk of the shutter that seems to still be right on despite it's age, pretty cool to watch the tab swing up when it fires off. Anyhow, I'm going through all the stuff that's not getting used and trying to decide if this is something to sell or hold onto. I can't seem to find any real information on it so figured I'd see if anybody here had anything that they could share.

Here's the info if you can't read it in the pics: Goerz Dagor F/6.8, Focus 9 1/2 in. No. 399866. Glass is in pretty good shape with one tiny scuff, might be single coated(?).

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_4733.jpg   DSC_4732.jpg   DSC_4734.jpg  

Re: Is this worth keeping?

The lens is good and the Goerz American product.
    9.5in dagor covers 8X10.

Let it go if you don't use it.
    Keep it if you use it.

I see in black and white.

The short answer is yes. The longer one is that if you don't use it, it's likely better off with someone who will. However, if you do sell it, look up its worth. Heh.

Based on the serial number, it's not coated. As someone said, it covers 8x10 with movements (when stopped down) And, take off the front glass and it's around 1.8x the focal length and still a nice lens. Mine is in the low 2s (which puts it around 1908) and my primary 8x10 lens. If you don't use it, it'll sell quick (and do check the value first - you'll be surprised)

Dan

It may have been coated. My 1939/40 12" Dagor was factory coated after WWII according to the original owner.

My Dagor came with a camera the 2nd owner had never used it at all prefering to use a 300mm Nikon M instead, he thought it too old I've found mine to be a superb lens very sharp plenty of contrast.

You have to decide if you'll use it, there's plenty who'd buy it and use it if you decided to sell.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MPrice View Post
    I think it's the clunk of the shutter that seems to still be right on despite it's age, pretty cool to watch the tab swing up when it fires off.
    And the easiest way to mess up a perfectly working shutter is to let it sit unused.

9-1/2"/240mm is a great fl lens for an 8x10 and Goerz Dagors are definately the cream of the crop. If you shoot 8x10 or are thinking of doing so, I'd hang on to it. even if you already have a 240mm, it old make a fine back up, IMHO.
    I have 10" WF Ektar as a back up for my 240 G Claron (or is it the other way around?)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've had this lens for years and never really gotten around to shooting anything with it but every time I go to sell it something makes me hold on to it, I think it's the clunk of the shutter that seems to still be right on despite it's age, pretty cool to watch the tab swing up when it fires off. Anyhow, I'm going through all the stuff that's not getting used and trying to decide if this is something to sell or hold onto. I can't seem to find any real information on it so figured I'd see if anybody here had anything that they could share.

Here's the info if you can't read it in the pics: Goerz Dagor F/6.8, Focus 9 1/2 in. No. 399866. Glass is in pretty good shape with one tiny scuff, might be single coated(?).

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.
    Worth keeping? Do you value your health and sanity?

Dagors are well known for harboring evil spirits, demons, incubae, succubae, doppelgangers, sylphs, sprites, and other maleficent spirits, known and unknown. Just having one in your house can cause constipation, flatulence, forgetfulness, impotence, satyriasis, baldness, shrinking gonads, gout, insanity, and higher interest on your mortgage. Excorsisms don't work.

Send it to me ASAP, I have a special containment area for lenses like this. Really. Send it soon. I'm surprised you can still type.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Thanks for the help everybody, I guess it's good I didn't just list it for $100 years ago although that might have avoided some of the afflictions above...

My impression was that there were a lot of different flavors of Dagors and for whatever reason I just assumed that this one was on the bottom end of things. I have one other lens that covers 8x10 at this point so I might end up selling this one although as has been the case in the past I'm tempted to continue to hold on to it just in case. Anybody have a rough idea of what it's worth or know where I can look to find out?

(Shrek)

Thanks for the help everybody, I guess it's good I didn't just list it for $100 years ago although that might have avoided some of the afflictions above...

My impression was that there were a lot of different flavors of Dagors and for whatever reason I just assumed that this one was on the bottom end of things. I have one other lens that covers 8x10 at this point so I might end up selling this one although as has been the case in the past I'm tempted to continue to hold on to it just in case. Anybody have a rough idea of what it's worth or know where I can look to find out?
    I don't know what this particular lens is worth to someone, but I know how to tell if it's worth anything to you: shoot a photo (or 2, or 10) with it. I'm very happy with my 9-1/2" German Dagor.