Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this worth keeping?

Re: Is this worth keeping?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Coating, whether in the factory or privately done, is only on the air/glass surfaces. There are four of them on a Dagor, so it would be a relatively straghtforward job.
    No it wouldn't. You have to unmount the lens - some were spun into the brass cells - uncement the cells, coat the two surfaces, and recement, then remount, the glass.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

For what i know, any multicoating treatment is done at high temperature, enough to melt Canada balsam (and probably most, if not all, modern cements).
    Factory single coating was done the same way, but there is a kind of anti-reflection single coating treatment that is done at room temperature.
    I don't know if it's effective with photographic lenses, and if it was ever used post-WWII to coat lenses that were made pre-war.
    I suppose the answer is yes, as i found reports of lenses which were coated IN BARREL (with evidence of a coating layer deposited on the external surface of the barrel).
    AFAIK, the largest project which involved the coating of pre-war lenses was done by B&J, with german made glasses (war booty?), often rebranded Carl Meyer, and made available with their "Lens Bank".
    Being european, and born in the late fifties, i have no first hand experience of B&J coating service, and no knowledge about the coating technology they used.
    Though i am sure there are forum members who know a a few things about it...
    have fun
    CJ

WTB (and pay good monet for):
    soft back cell for Ilex Photoplastic 5x7
    disks for Imagon 420mm
    5x7 back for Calumet C1
    5x7 conversion for Bi-System

for sale
    Photographica

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Coating, whether in the factory or privately done, is only on the air/glass surfaces.
    Why do you believe that?

CJ, when Eric Beltrando and I were discussing the problem of dating Boyer lenses (we published what we determined in an article on the French LF site) he told me that after Boyer "started" coating they offered coating service to owners of their uncoated older lenses. I wrote "started" because, according to Eric, Boyer sent lens elements to SOM to be coated until they got their own coating chamber sometime in the '70s.

That lens is easily replaced. So, if you need a wide field 8X10 lens, it's an excellent choice. If you don't, sell it. It could always be duplicated later if the need came. It isn't rare. Probably fetch $285 - ish on ebay just now.