Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody still using tank & racks?

Re: Anybody still using tank & racks?

Ok, guys, so, where do you find the tanks? Hangers I see on eBay all the time. The stainless steel tanks (what I'm looking for) is what I'm having a hell of a hard time to find. I'm looking the tanks to develop 4x5. I even put a WTB ad on the classifieds:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-tanks-(metal)

Let me know if you have any for sale. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to give the BTZS tubes a try. Thanks.

(Sorry to piggy back on this thread. Don't mean to highjack it, but, since it is about the very things I'm looking for, someone here must have some good info.)

I don't know. When I bought mine (which are plastic) in the 90s, I was getting into 4x5 with the help of a friend and former college room mate who ran a commercial lab at the time. Either he found them or I got them from Midwest back in those days. Maybe put a WTB add here in the For Sale/Wanted forum?

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Ok, guys, so, where do you find the tanks?
    I get my Arkay stainless steel tanks from B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

If you want tanks strictly for 4x5, look for Arkay numbers beginning with "45-". The 8x10 tanks start with "81-".

You can process 4x5 sheets in an 8x10 tank using special hangers that hold four 4x5 sheets in a 2x2 arrangement.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Maybe put a WTB add here in the For Sale/Wanted forum?
    I did that:

[...] I even put a WTB ad on the classifieds:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-tanks-(metal) [...]

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    If you want tanks strictly for 4x5, look for Arkay numbers beginning with "45-". The 8x10 tanks start with "81-".
    - Leigh
    Thanks, Leigh. So, something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Steel_Cut.html

Is that per tank or is this a set of four? I need four. At this rate this would be very expensive. I must be missing something here, because it says the tank above can process 24 sheets at a time, or am I reading that wrong? If it is 24, that's too much. Maybe later I'll have that many to process at one time, but not now. I'm looking for the ones they have at my school. You can process 4, maybe 6, sheets at a time.

Thanks.

Thanks, Leigh. So, something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Steel_Cut.html

Is that per tank or is this a set of four? I need four. At this rate this would be very expensive. I must be missing something here, because it says the tank above can process 24 sheets at a time, or am I reading that wrong? If it is 24, that's too much. Maybe later I'll have that many to process at one time, but not now. I'm looking for the ones they have at my school. You can process 4, maybe 6, sheets at a time.

Thanks.
    I had a real nice set for sale a few weeks ago, but it's sold now. You might look for a system like that though - holds 4-6 sheets and only used a liter of solution. Plus it's got a water bath to keep the temps stable. Sometimes they pop up on eBay, APUG or here at LFF.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    I had a real nice set for sale a few weeks ago, but it's sold now. You might look for a system like that though - holds 4-6 sheets and only used a liter of solution. Plus it's got a water bath to keep the temps stable. Sometimes they pop up on eBay, APUG or here at LFF.
    Jeff, I know. I almost bought yours. At the time I couldn't decide if I wanted that or a BTZS. The advantage of the BTZS is that I would be able to process my film at home more easily. I don't have a darkroom, so the tubes make sense. However, considering how difficult getting one of the setups like the one you had is becoming, I'm about to throw in the towel and get a BTZS.

Is that per tank or is this a set of four? I need four.
    ...it says the tank above can process 24 sheets at a time, or am I reading that wrong?
    Yes, they're sold as each, not in sets.

That's correct. Look under Specifications... It says it will hold 24 single-sheet hangers and four quarts of solution.
    Take a look at catalog number 45-2. It does 12 sheets in two quarts of solution.

Of course you can always process fewer sheets if you wish, but the volume of solution required remains the same.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Of course you can always process fewer sheets if you wish, but the volume of solution required remains the same.

- Leigh
    That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid: waste.

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid: waste.
    Remember that it isn't really that much waste since all but the developer is reused anyway.