Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezer or Refrigerator for Films?

Freezer or Refrigerator for Films?

Hi All,

Quick survey... Freezer or refrigerator? What's the preferred method of keeping film?

I just bought 20 x 50 sheet boxes of Provia film at an incredible price and want to store them in a manner that will ensure they'll last.

I've been told that the freezer method requires that the film be packaged well in plastic with as little air as possible.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I use ziplocks in the freezer for long term storage - otherwise, my wine fridge has a whole section devoted to my other pursuit...

I've been using a freezer for 4 years for boxed film and pre-loaded film holders. Use zip-loc bags and allow at least 1 hour (2 is better) after removing it from the freezer before opening the bag, to prevent condensation. Don't worry too much about getting all the air out of the bag before freezing but just get as much as you can, as a freezer is *DRY*, i.e. very low humidity. It's when you take film out that you can cause a problem.

Donald,

I stored my films in the wine fridge too but then my "sharpening tools" started taking over. I only had 300 sheets though and now that I've bought this big batch... they have to go in the freezer. Besides, some of my preferred Napa Valley vinos have just arrived!

BTW, Donald... what temperature do you have the wine fridge at? Mine's set at 58 degrees.

So many things to photograph, so many wines to drink, and so little time!

Steve,

I saran wrapped the entire box to keep things dry in the fridge... I'll have to go and get some zip- loc bags then.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I believe that the fridge is plenty cold to preserve film, but for most people's lifestyle, it is more convenient to put it in the freezer instead. And since everything in the freezer is wrapped and frozen, there is much less chance of spilling something on it. And much less traffic in the freezer.

I have been eyeing a couple of deals like Henry got. Would it make sense to store 19 boxes in the freezer and keep the one you are working on in the refrigerator - taking out a single box each time one runs out?

Both. Most of your stock should be kept on your freezer, where aging is halted, with a box or two (or whatever you're likely to need quickly) kept in the fridge, where aging is slowed, but not halted. In short: long trem sotorage in the freezer, short to mdoerate term storage in the fridge.

I personnally keep my B&W sheets at room temperature. I'm sure to be finished with my current box of 100 before the exp. date in 2006. If I had supplies for the next five years, that would be another matter.

If you really want it dry, put each film box in a zip-lock freezer bag, and add a 3 gram silica gel packet to suck up any moisture in the zip-lock. This would be added protection against possible condensation when you un-freeze a box of film.

I use pillow-paks from Desiccare, Inc.:

http://www.desiccare.com/pillpak.htm

YMMV, but this is what I use for this service. Especially when I put exposed film in the freezer because I can't get it processed right away.

Bruce Watson

Hi Edward,

I paid CDN$37.00 per box for 50 sheets of Provia...

Shoot for that price... I was told by the Lab where I bought it that this is a fairly reasonable price considering the expiry date is 5/04. It's just too bad it wasn't Velvia. :<) Oh well...can't complain!

Good luck

Life in the fast lane!

Henry, I am currently paying $5 per sheet of Velvia. That is why I am looking to the auction sites to pick up bulk shortdated film. Besides, I have a half empty chest freezer.