Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Schneider Symmar XL 150mm f5.6 VS Nikor SW 150 f8

Re: Schneider Symmar XL 150mm f5.6 VS Nikor SW 150 f8

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I use the 150XL on 8x10 and never use the centre filter.
    I like the fall-off, and even emphasize it in many of the photos I take with the lens.

+1 I would also echo the Nikkor 150 SW is fine without the center filter (I don't shoot color 8x10 but I don't think it would deter me if I did). Seems as much a matter of which one you can actually acquire since they're not exactly common. The added bulk of the Nikkor is a factor -- takes up a lot of room in the bag with the lens board -- but just plan accordingly. Interesting perspective on the use of the 150mm SSXL on 4x5 and 5x7 where the smaller size, wider max aperture, and image quality (subjectively speaking), could tip the scales.

Re: Schneider Symmar XL 150mm f5.6 VS Nikor SW 150 f8

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    Most 95mm filters (even Nikon brand) will contact the front element of the 150mm Nikkor SW and mar the coating. The only filter series I have found that are safe are the now discontinued B+W Series E. A step-up ring to 105mm is probably the best move. Lots of inexpensive filters are available in that size.
    Donīt worry, Schneider Center filters IVa, IVb and Heliopan 95mm center filters will not mark the front lens coating of the Nikkor SW 150/5,6. They are as safe as the discontinued B+W EW series.